• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Die cracks Help?

9 posts in this topic

On the subject "die cracks". I want to ask a newbie question or two.

Are die cracks collected by allot of collectors? Will die cracks command a price premium? If you had one would you send it in to NGC to have them verify it? Would it be worth the trouble? Any help on the subject would help me. I am clueless to die cracks but I think I have one on a Modern coin. Ill try to take some images and post latter.

Thanks

Hey tedssupply,

Die cracks are not as common on Modern coinage as they are on a lot of the older coinage due to the fact that it just doesn't cost as much for a working die today as it did in the past. Neither in money or time to produce it. When a die is close to failing today-out it goes. That said, dies were used till the breaking point way back then. As for a premium value---well they sure do add to the coolness factor of a coin in my opinion and they are used as die markers for variety identification. If the crack is prominent, someone will pay a premium for it I am sure. Here is a die crack on a fairly modern Lincoln for example that is in an uncommon place--this would be much less common than a crack on a capped bust half. How much of a premium would this crack bring??? Not a lot.

Linccrk.jpg

Many die cracks on older coinage do not bring much of a premium, and some may even be used to identify the likely source of the coin. An example would be the massive obverse die cracks found on many Randall Hoard 1820 large cents. However, some die cracks, such as the "Bearded Goddess" on the 1807 CBH, are found in an interesting area and acquire a "cool" name that makes them quite sought after and valuable.

B1820N66BN.jpg