• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Confession: I am a true Type Collector

12 posts in this topic

The first step is recognition. Ok, I can admit it. I am a true type collector. I hide my shame in saying I collect Dahlonega Gold and Early Commemoratives, but let the truth be told that my Dahlonega Gold set upon completion will only be the 9 pc type set and the commemorative series is not a true series, but only a collection of types.

Now, why am I embarrassed to say that?

It's because real collectors appear so knowledgeable about what they collect. They focus on one or two series and they know all the nuances of each date and mint mark. Weak strike, soft strike, die characteristics, varieties, etc.; series collectors know it all. I stand in awe of those who collect by VAM and Overton variety numbers. They have such keen eyes, great memories, and amazing collecting focus. But I must admit, I just don't have what it takes. I tried, I really did. I almost put together a complete Morgan set, but with only a few dates left I quit. I know for some it might be sacrilege, but after 7 years of putting that set together I couldn't stand to look at another Morgan Dollar. I'm over it now and once again can enjoy the series, but I am hesitant to start another series like that again.

What I enjoy about type collecting is each coin becomes a new adventure. A different look, different historical significance, and it often allows me a larger selection to choose from allowing me to find a more appealing example.

Now that I have openly admitted my affliction, are there any other true type collectors that want to come out of the closet? And what advice can all you series collectors give me to get me to see the light and realize that I must get serious and collect a series if I want other collectors to take me seriously.

...after 7 years of putting that set together I couldn't stand to look at another Morgan Dollar.

I am more concerned that it took you seven years to loathe the site of a Morgan dollar than I am that you are a type collector. There are many type collectors out there and many amazing type sets. The important thing is to enjoy what you collect (so long as it is not Morgans). devil.gif

Fatman: I tend to be a type collector also. I get bored with waiting and looking to complete esoteric sets that no one cares about (i.e. 3-cent Trimes). I have just recently sold my seated liberty dime type set plus several other sets and am working on a Civil War and Reconstruction type set. I think that, as I have aged, I have lost interest in becoming too technical about the hobby. Maybe it is Alzheimer's setting in?

devil.gif

I'm a type collector too, although I recently started a set of Mercury dimes. I probably spent about an hour in Baltimore looking at dimes (spread out throughout the day) before I couldn't take it anymore.

My type set is coming along, and I enjoy working on it.

Am a Walker collector. Been at it about the last 8 years now. Can't say that I ever get tired of looking at a nice one----whether it be a VF early dated piece or a nice original skinned MS later date coin. But, I am also collecting some type coins. They have become a little tangent for I do enjoy "OTHER" coins besides the Walkers.

As many have said on both boards, it is just important to collect what you enjoy collecting. The thrill of the hunt---the pleasure of having it in your hands. The accomplishment that comes with finishing 'something'. Being satisfied with yourself and what you are currently doing. Bob [supertooth]

I find myself on the fence. I enjoy type set collecting, but large cents are also a large portion of my numismatic pursuits. Focusing on one goal is too limiting, and the dual pursuits keep the interest level high....Mike

I am working on a type collection and a buffalo nickel collection. I enjoy learning all I can about as much as I can, so I get more enjoyment from my type collection I think. But the avenue I am pursuing with my buffaloes is interesting enough to keep me happy with that too, because I actively seek out 'quirky' ones.

So I do see where you are coming from. Morgans would probably make me tired too after a while; although I do enjoy the few random ones I have.

-Amanda

I was in awe when for the first time my eye caught a 100X's the size 1912 Lincoln cent posted. The picture captured the lowely cent of that era in all it's splendor and beauty, it also showed just how well the Mint produced coins of that time period.

I do not collect Lincoln cents avidly, I have about 30 or so that I would be proud to show most any other collector...I prefer silver to copper and persue the Jefferson nickel series aquiring higher grades as they become affordable.

I laugh at some "what-are-they-worth" guides for Jefferson nickels being quoted as .05-$1 for MS-65 for say a 1987-P I'll take any one you can toss my way for that amount, just go and try and buy one 1 for 1 like the quote.

Anyway Fatman...there is no shame for anything that stirs the imagination and passion the whelms within us...us...us nuts!

Have a happy numismatic day and thanks for sharing.

~Woody~

I've only completed four sets in my collecting life, three of those sets contained six coins or fewer while the fourth was the 73-coin behemouth of a Barber half set. I am definitely a type collector, but I do not even collect them in a manner similar to most; I buy nice type coins regardless of whether or not I have the type or date.

...after 7 years of putting that set together I couldn't stand to look at another Morgan Dollar.

I am more concerned that it took you seven years to loathe the site of a Morgan dollar than I am that you are a type collector. There are many type collectors out there and many amazing type sets. The important thing is to enjoy what you collect (so long as it is not Morgans). devil.gif

I like Billy Crawford's philosophy about searching Lincoln cents..........."If you don't like it, that's good for me!"

I saw and acquired my first Morgan in 1957, and now, I particularly enjoy hunting for VAM's and DMPL's. But, when I seem to have reached a "roadblock", I find diversion by collecting So-Called Dollars and French Medals. That's what I like about numismatics. If you don't find something that "tickles your fancy", you can always make up something that suits your needs.

Chris