• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have a VAM question for an 1884 CC Morgan...Dialuppers go get a beer

7 posts in this topic

I can't find anything that is even close so can anyone help..First,There are die gouges ALL over, then there are 2 pretty prominent die chips..

84CCReverse.jpg

84ccreversegouges-1.jpg

84ccreversegougesb.jpg

84ccreversegougesa.jpg

84CCr3.jpg

The chips

84ccreversechip.jpg

84ccreversechipa.jpg

Patrick, it isn't often that die chips and/or gouges will warrant a VAM designation unless they are very extreme. More often they will simply be used as die markers for a more noteworthy variety. Take a closer look at the mintmark and date to see if there is doubling present. According to the Red Book of Morgans, there is no significant variety for this date/mintmark.

Chris

Patrick, it isn't often that die chips and/or gouges will warrant a VAM designation unless they are very extreme. More often they will simply be used as die markers for a more noteworthy variety. Take a closer look at the mintmark and date to see if there is doubling present. According to the Red Book of Morgans, there is no significant variety for this date/mintmark.

Chris

Nothing that I can see as far as the CC or Date, What I was thinking ,or I was wondering, if I might want to send it to Leroy and get his opinion,, 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chris

Nothing that I can see as far as the CC or Date, What I was thinking ,or I was wondering, if I might want to send it to Leroy and get his opinion,, 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think it would be worth the trouble if there isn't any evidence of doubling or something more notable than the gouges and cracks. Even if it were attributable, it would not add significantly to the value.

Chris