• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

change jar

7 posts in this topic

I always put my change into a large empty bottle with a slot in the top.When i can't fit anymore into it.I sort it all out well this was the first time that there were no wheat cents.

$946.73 total.Cents break down most 1990's next 2000 and up then 1980's 1970's last 1960's with only 27 from 1959.Looks to me like the wheats are about gone from circulation

any thoughts?

I went through what I guestimate to be about $100 in cents recently. I broke them down by decade and now I'm going through them for varieties, errors, etc. All I've got left are the 90s and 00s. I was filling the jar from pocket change from around 1997 to present.

I saw the largest decade class by far to be 1990s, then the 2000s, 80s, 70s, and 60s. I also came across around a dozen wheats, dating as far back at 1919, but predominantly from the 40s and 50s. I also found 6-10 canadian cents. When I'm done going through everything completely, I'll post an actual numbers breakdown.

$946.73 is a heck of a lot of cents to go through. I don't envy you. It's been a lot of work here.

I would agree that the wheat cents seem to be almost gone from circulation. I'd guess that they're way below 1% of the total coins in circulation at present.

pendragon I retired in 2003 but thinking of getting a part time job to suport my hobby's

coins- prospecting-shooting-fishing-tv after 3 yrs hate to say getting little bored

Looks to me like the wheats are about gone from circulation any thoughts?

It depends on where you live and collect change. In the Washington, DC area, I can find at least one wheat cent a month. When I travel to Philadelphia and New York, I can find a lot of different coins that are out of the ordinary including wheaties, Canadian, Carribean, and even an old silver coin. Wheat backs are not as plentiful, but they are still out there!

BTW: I collect change in an old pitcher. After I search my change for anything interesting, I will throw them in the picture. When the pitcher is full, I take the pitcher to a local bank to use their coin machine and collect almost $300 in cash. It's fun!!

Scott hi.gif

I'm surprised.

I haven't seen much change in the incidence of wheats for a long time. They have been a little less seen recently (~1: 1200) but I figured it was because people were starting to pull out copper.