• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your ideal holder

17 posts in this topic

There have been a number of complaints about the NGC holder. If you were on a team that was designing a new holder, what features/characteristics would you want it to have? PCGS and SEGS holders have been mentioned as better alternatives for some. What features make them stand out for you?

Size of an old ANACS holder, clear like a PCGS holder, and one that allows better viewing of the edge.

As far as SEGS holders go, their main claim to fame is being virtually impregnable and indestructible.

My only objection to the NGC holder is that the PGGS holder seems to seal cleaner.

I have heard request for a black insert and that seems intresting to some degree but I am happy with the white.

I believe the Presidential series will pose new conceps for both.

I have heard request for a black insert and that seems intresting to some degree but I am happy with the white.

My problem with the white inserts is that imaging gold and copper in them -- is more difficult than with a clear or black insert. The white works well for imaging silver, though.

The PCGS holders are just right for me. If you’ve never tried to crack one, let me tell you that they are solid. I also like the clear plastic instead of the cheesy white plastic.

I know that some prefer raw coins, but I actually feel more comfortable handling and viewing slabbed coins. In fact, I dropped one of TomB’s fairly expensive coins at the Boston show 893whatthe.gif. Fortunately it was in a PCGS slab and he took it well. I was kind of freaked out when I dropped it though blush.gif.

I agree that the NGC holders may not be the best for viewing smaller coins, and maybe a clear plastic insert can help a bit like the NCS holders, but for something like this, I think white is right:

18187o.jpg

18187r.jpg

If you want to properly photograph this in a clear holder such as PCGS, then you would need to find a light background to balance the coin's dark toning.

And I think that the NGC holders could be improved for the smaller coins by beveling the insert around where the coin is, so that the plastic holding the coin is thinner, and does not cast a shadow on the coin (see a 1/2 dime or dime in the current NGC holder to see what I mean).

I want clear, thin plastic around the coin. The NGC multi-coin holders, adapted for single coins, would work for me.
I agree that the NGC holders may not be the best for viewing smaller coins, and maybe a clear plastic insert can help

NGC did this for some fractional gold. I wonder if you can still request it. The following is from eBay auction 170058449412:

197006808s.jpg

For more images just do a Google image search for [fractional gold ngc]

Now, hopefully they'll read this thread and take the input smile.gif

The only time that the slab insert color matters when you're photographing a coin, is when you're relying on the camera to meter the exposure. If you are manually controling shutter speed and aperature, it does not matter what color the insert is.

Small ANACS size, crystal clear, bullet proof, completely air, water, etc. tight, no possibility of tampering, no way the coin can move in the holder, and a 100% clean environment within the holder. Not asking for much, am I?

I love the new ANACS holders. I don't mind the size... in fact, I like the larger size. But the all clear holder and the way they did the label so that you can see what the coin is from the top is wonderful!

Scott hi.gif

For me personally, SEGS has the best holders, and it's no contest from there. The slabs are functional, indestructible, water-proof, sound-proof, fire-proof, idi0t-proof - OK, maybe a little exaggeration here, but you get my point. If I were NGC, I would very seriously consider licensing SEGS technology.

Something I find amazing is that SEGS has been around for some eight years or so, and still nobody has invented a better slab.

For photography, I actually like ICG's holders. The inserts are translucent rather than transparent, so they act as a neutral gray to the camera. Also, the plastic is not overly reflective, unlike the NGC holders: too much glare.

NGC's holders are the worst; the slab is so thick that small coins get lost in the well, are occluded by shadows from the walls, and for some reason NGC is horrible at getting coins placed in the holders with the coin faces parallel to the face of the plastic. I must have a dozen NGC slabs where the coins are inserted at an angle into the well. Annoying as heck!

Want a challenge: try photographing British third and quarter farthings in NGC slabs...

I'm not that crazy about the NGC holders either, I think they are too reflective and the optical quality of the plastic is not as good as PCGS's. However, if PCGS continues their aggravating vein, all of my coins will end up in NGC holders.