• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Other than Morgan dollers, have you seen a coin with DMPL field?

13 posts in this topic

If so,

What is it? Is it common for that series/date?

It will be nicer if you can post a picture here.

I mostly collect seated half dimes and I have seen a few with PL surface, but never seen one with deep mirror yet.

Yes. There are coins in pretty much every series that are DMPL, but not actually proof. In fact, I'm trying to think of series that never display such characteristics, and I can only think of a few.

Again, these are coins that NEVER look DMPL (in my experience):

early half cents

Buffalo nickels

Standing Liberty quarters

Peace dollars

Incuse Indian gold

Indian $10 gold eagles

Other than these, it's tough to think of a series of coins that does not have DMPL examples. Anyone else think of any?

It's not uncommon to see both business strike T3 $1.00 gold and $3.00 gold with deeply mirrored fields and cameo devices, in fact they can be difficult sometimes to differentiate from proofs. I've also seen a few $5.00 and $20.00 Libs that were strongly PL but not quite DMPL.

Thanks, I had completely forgotten about SMS.

Does NGC gives DMPL for the coin with deep mirror other than Morgan dollers?

Yes they do

Each coin is graded on its own attributes

I was not aware that NGC awards the DPL designation (and not just the PL one) to coins such as classic silver commemoratives and type coins - are you saying that's the case? If so, it must be quite sparingly, as I have seen many deeply PL coins with (only) the PL designation.

Hi Taro hi.gif

I was assuming Taro was referring to Deep Cameo

Edited to add:

Taro asked “Does NGC gives DMPL for the coin with deep mirror other than Morgan dollers?”

I replied “Yes they do” I didn’t say NGC graded anything any certain way.

Pleases read the whole post, I posted an image of an SMS as an example of similar surfaces.

Stan, when you originally said "Each coin is graded on its own attributes", as part of your reply to Taro's question, I took that to mean that all coin types were eligible for the (PL and) DPL designations. They aren't, and in fact, NGC awards the PL designation for many coin types that PCGS does not. You were apparently speaking of more modern, as opposed to classic coins - sorry for the confusion.

I once owned an 1876 trade dollar with deep mirrors and cameo devices NGC graded MS63. If PL or DMPL were ever attributed to trade dollars, that coin should have gotten the nod. Since PCGS and NGC don't attribute those characteristics, the coin has to speak for itself.

BTW, deep mirrors are by no means "common" in the trade dollar series. I had a PL 1873, and I think it must have been rare. All other 1873's I've seen have had satiny luster.

<<< I once owned an 1876 trade dollar with deep mirrors and cameo devices NGC graded MS63 >>>

That is definately a scarce and desirable item!

I once owned an 1876 trade dollar with deep mirrors and cameo devices NGC graded MS63. If PL or DMPL were ever attributed to trade dollars, that coin should have gotten the nod. Since PCGS and NGC don't attribute those characteristics, the coin has to speak for itself.

BTW, deep mirrors are by no means "common" in the trade dollar series. I had a PL 1873, and I think it must have been rare. All other 1873's I've seen have had satiny luster.

Shirohniichan, coincidentally, I previously owned an 1876 Trade Dollar graded MS64PL by NGC. It was not particularly easy to distinguish from a Proof, either, due to it's fully and deeply PL surfaces. It sounds as you owned yours before NGC started awarding the PL designation to type coins.