• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fun with ICG - My Long Journey Toward Dementia

117 posts in this topic

BTW, did they attribute and slab my 1891 Canadian cent? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sorry, but too esoteric. confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually, it's on an invoice that was submitted 3 days later, so it should be back this week.

Greg, out of curiosity, what was the turn-around time?

Chris

1-2 months for medals and stuff. A little faster for regular foreign. If they need to send something on the invoice out for authentication/attribution it can take WAY longer.

No one likes my Token ...

sorry.gif

It is more likely a medal than a token.

I agree it's a medal and a nice one. You said it was half dollar size. A half dollar is 31mm. If your medal is 33mm or larger it would qualify as a So-Called Dollar.

Its much larger than a half dollar so maybe smile.gif

Thanks for the fun thread. Some very unusual coins/ tokens and looks like it was a fun voyage. Kudos for ICG offering this service to get some very esoteric numismatic material holdered and graded. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I suspect some folks at ICG have told Cammy, I mean that unnamed grader, to keep his mouth shut from now on. 27_laughing.gif

I think the he's safe since ICG makes the claim right on the homepage of their website. It's the company line!

ICG prides its self on being able to authenticate any coin that will fit into the ICG tamper-evident holder. No other grading service can make the same claim.

I think the he's safe since ICG makes the claim right on the homepage of their website. It's the company line!

ICG prides its self on being able to authenticate any coin that will fit into the ICG tamper-evident holder. No other grading service can make the same claim.

sign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gif

I suspect some folks at ICG have told Cammy, I mean that unnamed grader, to keep his mouth shut from now on. 27_laughing.gif

If he hadn't opened his mouth, they'd have never had the chance to grade this numismatic rarity:

armoredcar.jpg

That's a piece of dirt on the slab at the bottom. It's not on the medal.

I cracked up laughing at your post Greg. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks everyone for the nice replies and positive feedback. I do help with some of the world/esoteric stuff and I sometimes want to pull my hair out trying to research stuff. We do try to authenticate and grade everything that can fit into our holder but as Greg found out there are sometimes exceptions.

Cameron Kiefer

Greg:

Fabulous post! One of the best 10 I have ever seen! Glad to see that you have not gone completely brain dead yet!

I have a good story to add to yours!

Indeed, I submitted a National Purple Hall of Honor dedication medal dated November 10, 2006 medal to ICG and well as to ANACS on November 11, 2006.

1000 of them were issued on November 10, 2006.

I first tried to submit them to PCGS and NGC on the following day. PCGS said "they do not do medals" and NGC wanted to know what the reference number was to slab them under. I responded that they were only released yesterday; that the refernce books had not yet even seen this medal! No curiosity on the part of NGC either.

ICG and ANACS were both a can do attitude and they are both waiting on me to give them the particulars on exactly who the State of New York Department of Parks used to mint these medals. These State officials are soooo slow!

The link for the Purple Heart Hall of Honor is shown below:

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/heritage/purple_hrt.asp

Regards,

Oreville

Make fun of them if you like, but I think your the bigger fool for paying them money to slab this stuff. Who are you going to sell these to to at enough profit to recover your costs of slabbing? Santa Claus?

ICG is a fine grading service, one of the major 4. According to the CDN Coin Market Indicator, if a PCGS coin is worth $100, an ICG coin is worth $95.and NGC comes in at $93. I believe its the coin and where it falls in the grade range (not who's holder it is in) that determines value. In the long term, grading services may come and go or be replaced by some other grading methodology altogether.

According to the CDN Coin Market Indicator, if a PCGS coin is worth $100, an ICG coin is worth $95.and NGC comes in at $93.

The CDN Market Indicator does not mean that at all. I suggest you go back to your copy of the Greysheet and read the text that accompanies this useless box of percentages carefully. If you do so, you will see that these numbers are drawn from a very small pool of non-representative coinage and mean little, if anything.

Make fun of them if you like, but I think your the bigger fool for paying them money to slab this stuff. Who are you going to sell these to to at enough profit to recover your costs of slabbing? Santa Claus?

Who says that any of this was done to make fun of them or for profit? This was done for pure fun. I enjoyed seeing the results. I'll enjoy asking JP at the next show what diagnostics he used to authenticate my Dodgers silver rounds. smile.gif The few hundred dollars spent on this was well worth the enjoyment I received. My family won't go hungry if I slab a thousand more of them and throw them out.

ICG is a fine grading service, one of the major 4. According to the CDN Coin Market Indicator, if a PCGS coin is worth $100, an ICG coin is worth $95.and NGC comes in at $93. I believe its the coin and where it falls in the grade range (not who's holder it is in) that determines value. In the long term, grading services may come and go or be replaced by some other grading methodology altogether.

ICG is a fine service. I've submitted several hundred real coins to them this year.

The "CDN Coin Market Indicator" is useless and you're using it incorrectly.

BTW, I believe that ICG enjoyed my submissions very much and not just because they got some money for them.

I dispute your comment about my using the CDN Coin Market Indicator incorrectly - the numbers are there plain as day and this is a fine estimation tool. Rare coin valuation is an estimate at best anyhow.

If you want to throw away several hundred dollars on grading fees for nothing thats your prob. I would rather buy a nice coin with it.

If you want to throw away several hundred dollars on grading fees for nothing thats your prob.

It doesn't appear to be Greg's problem, it appears to be your problem. Greg can do whatever the heck he wants. It's his money. As a matter of fact, I'm waiting to get my submission packet from ICG so I can go ahead and "waste" some of my money on some similar items that I have. Not only was Greg's post entertaining, but it was very informative as well. My hat is off to him!

Chris

I dispute your comment about my using the CDN Coin Market Indicator incorrectly - the numbers are there plain as day and this is a fine estimation tool.

It's okay to dispute it; it doesn't change the fact that you are still wrong and are using this entirely incorrectly. Go back and do some homework on what this box really means, by reading the Greysheet explanation and then reading the article they reference, and then think about it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you want to throw away several hundred dollars on grading fees for nothing thats your prob.

It doesn't appear to be Greg's problem, it appears to be your problem. Greg can do whatever the heck he wants. It's his money. As a matter of fact, I'm waiting to get my submission packet from ICG so I can go ahead and "waste" some of my money on some similar items that I have. Not only was Greg's post entertaining, but it was very informative as well. My hat is off to him!

Chris

Ditto...And don't *spoon* of Greg cause I got a coin I want him to send in for me...

I dispute your comment about my using the CDN Coin Market Indicator incorrectly - the numbers are there plain as day and this is a fine estimation tool.

It's okay to dispute it; it doesn't change the fact that you are still wrong and are using this entirely incorrectly. Go back and do some homework on what this box really means, by reading the Greysheet explanation and then reading the article they reference, and then think about it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And you have a better quantitative method? Frankly, I think you would have trouble estimating straight line depreciation. 893blahblah.gif