• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something shocking happened at a grading service.

14 posts in this topic

I sent in a package of 10 coins. All came back graded, although one came back mysteriously dipped. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Another case for Inspector Truth to solve.

TRUTH

Don't some people dip their coins before submission to get a grade bump? Maybe some TPGs are now doing this as a service for their customers.

I sent in a package of 10 coins. All came back graded, although one came back mysteriously dipped. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Another case for Inspector Truth to solve.

TRUTH

Maybe they needed to remove a grader's fingerprint. tonofbricks.gif

Don't some people dip their coins before submission to get a grade bump? Maybe some TPGs are now doing this as a service for their customers.

This is a dis-service! Coins are one's own personal property and no person or corporation has the right to fiddle with them w/o explicit consent. This goes for NCS, as well!

This is a dis-service! Coins are one's own personal property and no person or corporation has the right to fiddle with them w/o explicit consent. This goes for NCS, as well!

Agree with Victor

I agree with the first part, but not with NCS. If a person sends a coin to NCS, knowing that it should/will be conserved, it could come to be that the coin ends up dipped/drastically changed upon return.

Looking forward to hearing more

The coin is a classic commemorative. When the coin went in for grading, it had nice tab toning with iridescence. Only this coin of the ten came back altered. No other coins were affected. The problem is proving my coin's original appearance. Fortunately, I purchased two of the coins in an original holder years ago. The twin was already holdered. So I am sending to the TPG an image of the twin and the coin in question. So far, the representative I have spoken with has been amicable. More to follow.

TRUTH

I agree with the first part, but not with NCS. If a person sends a coin to NCS, knowing that it should/will be conserved, it could come to be that the coin ends up dipped/drastically changed upon return.

I sent in a 1942 silver proof nickel with gorgeous reverse toning graded NGC PR67. I explicitly stated three times not to touch the reverse, just the obverse. They did it anyway and it came back PR65. Do you think this is right!? They went against my wishes and, IMO, destroyed my personal property? After a fuss, they compensated me the difference but what consolation is that to my property?

...So far, the representative I have spoken with has been amicable. More to follow.
That certainly narrows it down as to which TPG. wink.gif

Seriously, you are taking this better than I would. I'd be going nuts, then again I'm one of those who likes crusty non white coins. When I see posts like this it makes me very nervous every time I submit.

If you remember, PCGS dipped a Peace dollar of mine, because it was too darkly toned, several years ago and then denied it. They said the packing materials had changed the color (bleached it???).