• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1965 Washington - MS68 ? - Maybe too dark to tell

13 posts in this topic

It's very pretty and probably SMS. If not SMS then it is virtually unimprovable but I don't think it can go 68 in either case. There are strike deficiencies, especially on the reverse, which will keep it lower.

It is an SMS from a Set I have - What are you seeing on the reverse

as I have compared it to other NGC 68's and looks like a shoe in .. But again this is not my field of expertise and am relying on the opinions here as to send it in - are 67 for a SMS a good grade ??

m

That looks like die wear to me, and I don't see any marks that arent as made. NGC is very careful in distinguishing between mint made imperfections and post minting damage. 1965-67 era coins can be very weakly struck and still grade high, as well, but this coin is actually quite well struck for a late die state.

cladking _ I think that is a lighting issue which I am trying to resolve in the pictures

coinman1794 _ Do you think this is a 68 coin ???

Bruceswar _ I dont see any hits to speak of .. please be more specific

Mike

Ok Hits may not have been the correct term. Whats going on under the A in America? and from about 3 o clock to about 5 o clock on the obverse? Is that just from the photo?

Im not sure what the best way to define that is, but lets start with...a series of irregular flow lines resulting from a warping of the die. wink.gif Areas like that are typical along the rims of SMS quarters and are a result of die wear. Sometimes grease strike-throughs contribute to that type of rouchness.

Well Interesting points all of you. Most of the problems you see are probably lighting - If you look at the upper left of the obverse you will see some scraping on an already certified coin by NGC smile.gif - I pulled this coin from a SMS set as it was real striking in hand. My Opinion was backed up by NGC graders as a MS68. I think I will invest in some lighting as I feel my camera setup is not bad ( By Hand ) ... I had the same opinion of the nickel out of this set and it did a 67. I like them both and will be a fine addition to my set. Thanks guys for your thoughts.

Mike