• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scanning coins

18 posts in this topic

I am purchasing a scanner tomorrow morning.

Does anyone here use a scanner to image their coins ?

If so what brand and model scanner do you use and could you please comment on the effectiveness on it.

I already have a digital camera but it doesn't take detailed photos of coins. I need a photocopier/scanner for business purposes but the scanner will mostly be used for my hobby. insane.gif

Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

Many thanks. thumbsup2.gif

Hi Marcel! hi.gif

Don't get a Dell Printer/Scanner. I have one, and it is QUITE awful. It doesn't 'see' far enough to scan anything that is not right up against the glass, so a coin with any sort of releif at all does not show up clearly.

Hewlett Packard machines are pretty good. grin.gif

-Amanda

HP and Epson scanners have a good reputation.

Canon scanners are known to have problems--not so much for the imaging because Canon makes some of the best image processors, but the mechanics of their units stink.

I use an HP scanner to image coins for auctioning on eBay. It works pretty well.

Good luck!

Scott hi.gif

I made a post a while back in reply to a similar question. It's not so much the manufacturer as it is the type of technology that you need to look for.

Help with scanners.

That would explain why my Dell Scanner is utterly disappointing unless I am scanning a flat page. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Then it's only mildly disappointing. wink.gif

-Amanda

I purchased a Visioneer 8100 for less than $100 about seven years ago and it is still the only scanner I have ever owned. A coupon for a free edition of Corel Photo-Paint 8 was even included with the product, and this remains my image manipulation software of choice. It is reliable and easy to use. For my purposes, I have historically used it to scan raw, circulated coins and any slab that enters the collection. The scans are done at 600dpi, which allows them to retain some crispness even when reduced in physical and electronic size. Attached is a scan of a Buffalo nickel in a PCGS slab.

1516701-new-2.jpg.e3f30581da47a2e39685d05052e26d4b.jpg

Thanks for your replies everyone. thumbsup2.gif

Amanda, I hope that you are able to use your scanner for something other then scanning coins. crazy.gif

Thanks for the link RGT. grin.gif

I was actually looking at a HP scanner last night. The scanning part of it was 4800 X 2400. Does this show too much detail when displaying the coin ( ie do very minor marks look like craters ) ?

Thanks for your replies everyone. thumbsup2.gif

Amanda, I hope that you are able to use your scanner for something other then scanning coins. crazy.gif

Thanks for the link RGT. grin.gif

I was actually looking at a HP scanner last night. The scanning part of it was 4800 X 2400. Does this show too much detail when displaying the coin ( ie do very minor marks look like craters ) ?

It's good for school projects!

HP scanners are good! I used to be able to use my dad's, but he thinks I should use mine now. confused-smiley-013.gif

Good luck with whatever scanner you decide on! grin.gif

-Amanda

I do photography, not scans, but I can tell you that you can never have too much resolution. You can always lower the res on an image to make it smaller, but you can never add it. Start with more than you think you'll need and you'll be fine.

I owned a few flat bed scanners before, but my Epson Perfection 3490 makes the others all look like junk. Software installs with simple clicks. Scanning coins is as simple as it can get, no special doctoring necessary. These units came out about a year ago, and they are now very hard to find. Cost is $100 without discounts.

Check out my many pictures in the PCGS forum Lettered Edge Capped Bust Half Dollar series

Capped Bust Half Dollar series

I use an HP psc 2210 combination scanner/printer/fax.

I haven't scanned silver because I use a camera, but when I had trouble with a piece of copper recently, I scanned it, and it wasn't that bad.

1498310-fugioobversescan.JPG

Wow - I'd love to scan like that Mike.

I bought a HP Photosmart 2575 All-in-One Printer/Scanner/Copier.

It will mainly used to scan coins ( my influence ) but also to copy business pages etc.

I just installed it and had my first little play around.

Frankly I am quite disappointed with the results so far. crazy.gif

Any tips would be appreciated. thumbsup2.gif

Now back to experimenting some more........

A long way from Mike's scan:

1518448-eire.jpg

I suppose it is OK. I'm happy enough with that for Ebay purposes anyway.

However my Slabs still look blurry - any ideas ?

I asked the assistant if this scanner had CCD technology. He said that he didn't know what it was. I explained it to him and he said that this scanner scans things 3 inches from the screen. Surely a slab must turn out OK too then ?

1518448-eire.jpg.9164a9eb8406c7633f1305db0157ff5d.jpg

I asked the assistant if this scanner had CCD technology. He said that he didn't know what it was. I explained it to him and he said that this scanner scans things 3 inches from the screen. Surely a slab must turn out OK too then ?

It's just as likely that the assistant did not know.

I tried to look up the specs on your scanner but I couldn't find out if it uses CCD technology or not. I did find something that suggests that it does not.

Specs on HP Photosmart 2575 All-in-One

Specs on HP Scanjet 3670 Scanner

On yours, it just states "Scanner input type: Flatbed".

On the 3670 it says "Scannable media types: Paper (plain, inkjet, photo, magazine articles, newsprint), transparent materials (35 mm slides, negatives, transparencies), 3-D objects".

Note, the dedicated scanner specifies that it does 3D scanning.

RGT - yes, that's what the assistant said about my purchase too. He said that it does 3D. I asked what the difference was between the one I ended up buying and another that I was comparing it with. He mentioned that both had 3D.

My last few hours of fun can be seen in my Ebay link ( all raw coins though ). smile.gif

Some scanners mention 3D objects on the box, but it's still hit-or-miss, and you may end up, as I did, having to take it back and try another brand. Scanners are designed for copying documents and photos flat against the glass, and for that function, there is no need for any focus adjustment or depth-of-field latitude. If they can hold focus on a slabbed coin 1/8 inch from the glass, it's more happenstance than by design.