• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington Quarter MS 1976 Silver

3 posts in this topic

Probably a really basic question: When I was collecting the bicentenial coins as they were issued, I don't remember the uncirculated (not proof) version of the silver quarter. Were these issued as part of a set? How can you tell if a Washington S mint mark from that date is proof versus uncirculated? What is a good reference book for me to read to become more knowledgeable about the Washington quarter series?

Hi, all of the 1976 S mint issued coins were issued only in sets. The silver uncirculated quarter was issued in a three piece set containing the Quarter, Half Dollar and Dollar only, all in silver. The way to tell the difference between a Mint State and a Proof, is that a Proof will have highly polished fields, like a mirror, and the mint state in most cases will be none reflective. Some of the proofs will also have white or cameo devises.

For more on Washington quarters there are several books for beginners to expertise in the field. First all of the information provided above can be found in the Guide Book of United States Coins by R. S. Yeoman also known as the Red Book. For more in depth about the series try the following books:

The Complete Guide to Washington Quarters. by John Feigenbaum

A Guide Book of Washington and State Quarters by David Q. Bowers