• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on photographing this lady?

20 posts in this topic

I know this is darkside, but it seems like the photographers hang out here. These are two photos of the 1999 Britannia obverse. The queen's portrait is giving me heck to photo. It's that cheekbone and cheek of hers that are so high that they catch the light making a proper distribution of light across the entire surface near impossible. The coin's sort of a reverse proof-like coin, so I'm having trouble lighting the field enough while not completely blowing the portait out of town. I don't like the look of the coin when I light the mirrored surface black, so I'm trying to capture the brilliant surface of the portait instead.

meh...any suggestions? I'm fed up.

1513916-1999.jpg

1513916-1999.jpg.5af66b5812bf49b48c1541879eadb74e.jpg

To a degree, I think I prefer the first shot. The light intensity is unbalanced (which may help bring out edge detail) to the lower right - below her eye level. What would happen if you kept the same arrangement and rotated the coin clockwise about 45 degrees to eliminate some shadow above her cheekbone?

Thanks for posting your setup. I have been using one light source and a reflector and am not happy with the results yet.

Matt

outside of the shadows under her eyes and above the eyebrow, I prefer the first one. I realized how hard it was to photograph these kinds of coins when I tried to photograph some Canadian Maple Leafs that I put up for auction. It seemed nearly impossible. I'm sure you will figure out how to get it just the way you want.

Well Chad, at least you are helpful.

Michael, I think that the photo is excellent except for at the top where it appears that the light did not fall on all of the coin, giving the fields a strange appearance.

The overall photo is very good, the portrait looks nice and clean. A - because of the shadow at the top.

Still a very nice photo Michael, nice and clean-looking overall and you can see all of the details just fine.

This is my setup.

Essentially, the only difference between the photos was my lighting angle and the coin's orientation. The variables are down angle on the light, height of the light, and rotation of the coin. Getting these shots was only a matter of making small adjustments to the coin until the light to fell where I needed it to. I'm developing an eye for the small differences in reflected light intensity that the camera will magnify into darker and lighter areas on a coin. It's an ongoing learning experience.

lol Yes, it's about the only use for those rolled cents. They're just junk zincolns I culled while going through a jug for my Lincoln Cent Dansco. Saves me a trip to the bank, I suppose.

I think that you need to reflect the light off of a white background onto the coin to minimize the glare.

I think you might have a point there Victor foreheadslap.gif somehow that just didn't sound right 27_laughing.gif

That's a very interesting point you made there Victor!

how's that instead 27_laughing.gif

either that or pass the light through a thin piece of white paper to diffuse it and soften the glare. these are difficult coins to image because they are so highly reflective. in the era of black and white films, lighting was everything, and this coin kind of forces you back to an era or light manipulation to a degree that normally you can get away with less.

someone on this board mentioned taking hundreds of photos and finding the one that actually works. i think this may be the answer.

I agree Chad, it's not 100%, but I'd say it's about 95%, which is going to have to be good enough. I'm a little OCD with my coin photography though.

My final results:

1517088-1999.jpg

For a few dollars you can pick up adobe photoshop elements in which you can adjust for shadows. Here is 30 seconds work.

site1302.jpg