• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw Coin Storage Methods

9 posts in this topic

I am trying to get myself more organized along with a better presentation and for storage purposes as well. I kinda like the look of the Eagle holders, but they seem like a pain to put the mylar windows in each holder. The Airtites look nice also, but the ones I have always purchased that are in Airtites with the presentation card always pop out nearly everytime I touch them, which gets quite annoying. I am tired of all of the 2 x 2's and want something that will look nice and want some comments on what other collectors are using and their preferences.

BTW, I do have several albums of coins, but I am looking to do something uniform for all the others.

I fully understand the 2x2's lackluster appeal. I don't like them either, but I've been pondering what to do with them also and looking at available options. Those coin cabinets look cool and I was thinking about purchasing one.

I use Kointains for my raw coins. They are inert, are sturdy, provide more than adequate protection for the coin, allow one to look at the edge of the coin, do not yellow over time, are relatively inexpensive and facilitate storage of coins within any other type of holder for ease of handling. I like them! grin.gif

so what do you store the Kointains in Tom, I checked them out on Brent-Kreuger's site and they look nice, but do you buy the albums and stick them in there or is there a box or something to store them in?

At one time I simply had a plastic blue Whitman box with about 200 monster toned coins, each in its own Kointain, swimming freely about. It was a cool little way to hold all the coins. Many of those coins have since been slabbed as MS67 or better and can be seen on my site. I had complete confidence in their security within the holder. The way I do it now is that each coin, in its Kointain, is then placed into its own plastic flip; one side has the coin in it with the obverse facing out and the other side has the small white paper insert stuck in it with a code written on the back of the paper to let me identify what I need for each coin. The coins, in Kointain and plastic flip, are put into a double-row box for storage. Currently, all my raw MS coins just fit in this manner in one double-row box.

It doesn't take up much space, is convenient, allows for quick transportation and lets me inspect the coins with ease.

I still use some 2x2 snap togethers to hold some raw modern coins. They are inert, cheap and work just fine if you are not going to dispaly these coins. You also can write in the margins with a marker.

Andy, I've posted my opinion about Eagle albums before. In summary, I find the albums for slabs, proof set and mint sets are awesome! Their 2x2's leave alot to be desired! As you said, it's a pain placing the mylar windows and often, if you don't build it up with extra mylar windows, some smaller coin slides around. The plastic face which holds the 2x2 in place becomes scratched and obscures the viewing of the coin. They work alright for the 38 and 40 mm airtight holders but, heck, they cost a buck apiece from the manufacturer. The albums are also bulky for storage but makes a nice presentation of a collection.

I like the Dansco album, but as you all know, you risk abrading the coin with the sliding action of the window.

Intercept Shield is attractive (to me anyway) and provides added protection. Someone recently wrote, however, that they have a tendency to come apart at the seams. And, they don't have a type album. Dem no good, dirty, rotten scoundrels. mad.gif

When all else fails, I'll hold onto your collection for you. grin.gif

I've been using CoinEdge Holders for a few years. They display nicely in their albums, allow viewing the edge of the coin, have printable labels, and have similar album pages that will hold both slabs and the CoinEdge holders for uniformity. Unfortunately, they have some problems. Their smaller denomination holders--especially dimes--can be extremely tight fitting on the coins, and they don't have sizes to adequately fit some of the odd denomination coins in my type set. Another drawback is the hassle of removing individual coin holders from the album pages which involves pulling apart the entire page. Despite the problems these are probably near perfect for some people.

I've been looking for something better, but I'll probably continue using these for my 20th Century set.

CoinEdge Holders & Albums

BC