• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gem CRISP! mintstate original skin white trade dollar super sleeper rare date!

17 posts in this topic

this coin currently tresides in a pcgs ms64 holder and is like a 64.9 coin. NO........... a real 65!!!!

the coin is crisp looking with an original crusty white skin and hace never been dipped or cleaned or played with in

any way shape or form.the only thing keeping this coin from 65 is some super light chatter in the left field at 9 pm!

the eagles right wing the viewers left and the eagles left claw the viewers right are somewhat weakly struck this was

the norm for these coins as the dies were hastely prepaired and the coins struck very early on especially so this

coin!! and there were problems with the striking which caused the claw and wing as above to be weakly struck on

most all the the early pieces struck

the 1874 is a rare underrated sleeper date and is very rare in gem unc.!!

most all if not all were exported to the orient and is the most common trade with chops!

yes it has a high mintage but i think all went to the orient for trade as this is one of as i said above the most chop

marked trade dollars! also

in 1874 250,000 trade dollars or thereabouts were melted in india at the calcutta mint and recoined into indian

coinage! and this is a recorded case! i imagine many meltings of the 1874 are as such unrecorded! in problem free

nice xf and au this date is a rare issue, remember i said problem free!

also david reimer reports in one of the 2002 issues of the liberty seated collectors club journals that he did a study of

trade dollars of ebay yahoo and amazon web sites for trade dollars finding the 1874 to be a really scarce offering.

what makes this coin really rare and extra special is that is is an original skinned white coin and really lusterous and

with a super crisp look to the coin. this coin was in my opinion pulled from a bin of trades coined early that year and

put away! and with the weak claw on the reverse this coin with the overall crisp strike was most likely one of the first

coined that year and just kept as a momento! the overall look is superb and again being thick skinned never dipped

and white is highly unusual

the eye appeal is really extraordinary and exceptional for this coin.

if you look at the obverse you will see at 5 pm a toning line going over miss liberty at the base this is from being

stored in an envelope probably before 1900 and most probably put in this envelope where the flap touched the coin

and toned it this way! a really untouched full original white coin thick skinned and superb!

just unbelieveable combination of the 1874 date

gem mintstate

one of the first strikings off a new die early on in the year really crisp looking

never dipped or cleaned and with a thick original skin

and basically a really lusterous WHITE!!!!!!!!! coin

super underrated

a morgan looking like this with the same pop and this close to gem in a 64 holder would be close to a $100,000

WHAT I REALLY LIKE ABOUT THIS COIN ARE FIVE THINGS THE CRISP LOOKING UNTOUCHED VIRGIN

SURFACES

THE MONSTER LUSTEROUS SURFACES OF AN UNTOUCHED COIN

THE FANTASTIC RARE UNDERRATED SLEEPER DATE

THE UNBELIEVEABLE CRISP LOOKING SURFACES OF THIS VIRGIN COIN!!

A FULLY ORIGINAL WHITE COIN!!!!!!!!!!

this coin looks ten times better in person!!

this coin has been examined by me in an eastern collection not for sale or sold or offered for sale....blah blah blah

48532-1874trade.jpg.36f1b07c4083479bcf35abf22e67cb71.jpg

Michael, you really made me laugh with this one! Your enthusiasm and wonderful explanations are unparalelled by anyone, anywhere! Thank you!

Now, you must send me this trade dollar in compensation for the other one you forgot to post the attached picture of! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Hoot

WOW! Michael, thank you for posting all the awesome coins and reviews! I always look forward to your threads, and you never seem to disapoint! well except that i know I cant afford most of this stuff. wink.gif

Michael, you really made me laugh with this one! Your enthusiasm and wonderful explanations are unparalelled by anyone, anywhere!

By far! 27_laughing.gif

I bet the luster on this beauty must be off the charts!

thumbsup2.gif

48532-1874trade.jpg

Hayden

Michael-----I too can get this way about a coin when I know that it is 'special'. Anyway, I am humbled by your explanation and enthusiastic description of this coin. My friend---we need more of these short lessons that you have to offer. Bob [supertooth]

Michael-----I too can get this way about a coin when I know that it is 'special'. Anyway, I am humbled by your explanation and enthusiastic description of this coin. My friend---we need more of these short lessons that you have to offer. Bob [supertooth]

Short? tongue.gif

thanks bob supertooth!!

also

yes,,,,,,,,,,,,nothing is ever short with me 27_laughing.gif

mark feld i talk to and i say mark did you read my posts>>??? and he says i saw it but it is too long so no i did not 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif then mark says please sum it up in aparagraph or less i cant read three pages

i must say i totally aGREE with mark but for me i just write it i do not read it 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

For those of you who think Michael's posts are long should to try talking to him on the phone. smile.gif

Great post, Michael....Mike

grin.gif I don't think he uses punctuation then, either. grin.gif

Yes it does have that thick white origional skin. How did it remain untoned over all those years? Was it kept in oil or wax? How did collectors keep coins from toning before there were plastic air-tight holders?

"Skin white" is all well and good, but do you have one of these????

Trade dollars were frequently smuggled around the orient in vats of tar. They were unceremoniously dumped into a barrel, shipped somewhere else, and then cleaned up.

Occasionally you find one of these "tar dollars".

trade.jpg

trade2.jpg

For those of you who think Michael's posts are long should to try talking to him on the phone. smile.gif

Great post, Michael....Mike

lol and how true.

We all love ya Michael. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif