• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somethings happening to me...

35 posts in this topic

Here's what I do with some "real coins"

Oh... I see... you like your "real coins" raw and not encased in plastic!

Now I understand... and agree! thumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

Here's what I do with some "real coins"

Oh... I see... you like your "real coins" raw and not encased in plastic!

Now I understand... and agree! thumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

Well... when they're this affordable, anyhow 27_laughing.gif!

I guess I am surprised at what some of us do and do not consider "real" coins.

The vast majority of the money I have invested in my collection is for coins that would likely fall under the "real" category as described above, but I don't believe I would ever crack these pieces out of their holders. These would be gunky, largely original, attractive, problem-free, circulated early Federal pieces or wonderfully toned, largely original, superb nineteenth century type. Would I crack these pieces out of their holders? No. Does that make them less "real"? Not in my opinion.

These pieces represent too large a financial investment for me to jeopardize their surfaces through additional handling or placement in albums. Also, regardless if one wants to ignore this aspect or not, the liquidity of expensive coinage drops once this coinage is removed from its certified holder. This is not to say that these coins have no market for them as raw pieces, but they may take more to move at the same price. Their continued certification, in my opinion, acts as one layer or inexpensive insurance for my family.

These coins are "special", in my opinion, but must not fit the category of "real" since they are certified and will continue to be certified as long as I am the caretaker for them-

cool.giflaugh.gifshy.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif