• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I a coin doctor?

146 posts in this topic

I love these threads. They are always a crack-up. I'm not even sure what is meant here:

People like drugs...so should we always rely on what people like to give us direction on what's right or wrong?

I can tell you that I work for a hospital and most drugs do wonders to cure patients. As for illegal drugs I would encourage you not to use the government as your guide for what is healthy or moral…but to each their own.

I think Greg’s new signature line is the best piece of advice in this instance:

Rule #1: If you don't know exactly what you are purchasing, then don't purchase it. Don't whine after purchasing it. Don't look for sympathy.

I’d be interested to see the entire list of rules, but suppose that they will come over time…

Now get it holdered at a TPG, use others to pass it off to an unsuspecting collector for financial gain, repeat a few hundred times, and you'll be eleveated to the same level as some (of the scumbags) devil.gif G devil.gif and his gimp M insane.giflolwho frequent this forum -- those who care more about profit than the people they are decieving, the hobby they are hurting, or the original coins they are doctoring.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Well said.

TRUTH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rule #1: If you don't know exactly what you are purchasing, then don't purchase it. Don't whine after purchasing it. Don't look for sympathy.

Then that would mean that 99% of all couples who buy a diamond engagement ring shouldn't do so because it is such a scam market.

Yet, I do agree with the advice...bigtime!

Then that would mean that 99% of all couples who buy a diamond engagement ring shouldn't do so because it is such a scam market.

Are you talking about the jewelry itself or the reason for buying it!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Scott acclaim.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have talked and dealt with some of the most knowledgeable diamond dealers in the LA area. Fully 1/3 of the diamonds mined in South Africa are put in storage and never see the marketplace. A world major diamond dealer pays Russia megamillions to keep Russian diamonds off the market. The value of diamonds is dependent on sheer marketing, nothing more, and the perception of value. If you buy a diamond, you are buying hype. Kinda relates to colored proof Indian cents.

TRUTH

Now get it holdered at a TPG, use others to pass it off to an unsuspecting collector for financial gain, repeat a few hundred times, and you'll be eleveated to the same level as some (of the scumbags) devil.gif G devil.gif and his gimp M insane.giflolwho frequent this forum -- those who care more about profit than the people they are decieving, the hobby they are hurting, or the original coins they are doctoring.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Well said.

TRUTH

27_laughing.gifMake sure you wipe all the dribble from his chin when you are done feeding him,,, thumbsup2.gif

I have talked and dealt with some of the most knowledgeable diamond dealers in the LA area. Fully 1/3 of the diamonds mined in South Africa are put in storage and never see the marketplace. A world major diamond dealer pays Russia megamillions to keep Russian diamonds off the market. The value of diamonds is dependent on sheer marketing, nothing more, and the perception of value. If you buy a diamond, you are buying hype. Kinda relates to colored proof Indian cents.

TRUTH

screwy.gifThese people are making tons of diamonds Here is another story

Thanks so very much for the links!!

Man Made Diamonds – Save Big Money And Avoid Mined Diamond Scams Date: Thursday 01 September, 2005

News Summary:

Adroit shoppers know that man made diamonds offer superb value and mirror mined diamonds, allowing jewelry lovers to look glamorous and bank the colossal difference in cost. This point is punctuated along with exposing the inherent pitfalls when considering a mined diamond.

News Content:

High quality man made diamonds are a bargain at about $80 per carat, and they do not increase in price exponentially as carat weight increases. For example, a one-carat synthetic diamond costs about $80; a three-carat man made diamond would then sell for $240. A one-carat mined diamond that sells for $3000 would go for $45,000 in a three-carat size, all things being equal, which with mined diamonds is never the case. Perplexing comparative evaluations, exponential price growth, consumer confusion, and the reality of diamond industry antics is why the mined diamond business is awash in dirty tricks. Here are descriptions of the most sneaky and pervasive mined diamond scams:

THE BLUE-WHITE SCAM: A jeweler tells you: this is a blue-white diamond. This is a very old term. The dealer will probably tell you that it is a better diamond, but actually it is just the opposite. Blue-white refers to the fluorescence that results in natural light, which contains ultraviolet wavelengths. This blue fluorescence actually makes a colorless diamond look a little oily or milky in sunlight and decreases its value.

THE LIGHT MAKES WHITE SCAM: Bright lights make every mined diamond look better. Of course, every jeweler wants to show his or her diamonds in the best light, but there are some lighting tricks you should avoid. Some bulbs have a strong blue component, which makes yellow stones look whiter. Special bulbs are often used with strong ultraviolet wavelengths, which make most diamonds fluoresce blue. This also has a whitening effect for stones in the lower color ranges.

THE GRADE BUMPING SCAM: A jeweler exaggerates the grade. The FTC says that a jeweler must be accurate within one grade of color and one grade of clarity on a diamond. So many jewelers bump the color and clarity just one grade. Unfortunately, this can mean a great deal of money if you are talking about a fine-quality, 1-carat diamond. For instance, you might find a stone that the jeweler quotes as a 1.00 carat F color / VS1 clarity for $6,500. However, if you sent it to a reputable gem lab like GIA, it would come back as a G color / VS2 clarity, which is only worth about $5,500. This means you lose (and they profit) about $1,000.

THE FRACTION SCAM: The tag says 3/4 carat, and the FTC allows jewelers to round off diamond weights. So a diamond labeled as 3/4 carat in weight might actually weigh anywhere between .69 and .81 carat. This could mean a significant amount of money, since diamond prices leap at certain popular sizes. In this example, you might be buying a .69 carat round G/VS2 worth about $2,100... but paying for what you thought was a 0.75 carat worth $3,000. You lose $900.

THE LASER DRILLING SCAM: Dealers drill holes to burn out black carbon spots. About 1 in 3 diamonds in the United States is laser drilled. Dealers use lasers to drill a tiny hole into the depths of a diamond to burn and evaporate large black inclusions to make them disappear. The trouble with this little trick is that laser drilling can make the diamond a little more fragile to breaking with a good knock. Most dealers trade laser-drilled stones for much less.

THE HIDING THE FLAWS SCAM: Every jeweler hides flaws under the prongs if he can. In many cases, this can make an I1 clarity appear like a VS2 if you look at it in a ring setting. Structural flaws like feathers and cleavages can be damaged by the high pressure exerted by the prong on the diamond to hold it snug in the ring.

THE FRACTURE FILLING SCAM: New treatments to make flaws invisible. There is a new process patented a few years ago that melts a kind of crystal into surface-breaking fractures in a diamond. This technique will slide by consumers unnoticed. The treatment is considered slightly fragile because it can be damaging under the extreme heat of a torch when the diamond is set into a ring. Fracture-filled diamonds should trade for much less than diamonds without this treatment, but in reality they often sell for as much or more because they look like a higher, more expensive clarity grade.

THE CHEMICAL COLOR COATINGS SCAM: A little paint goes a long way. This very deceptive practice involves a little point of blue or purple paint on the lowest tip of the diamond, called the culet. This is small enough that you might not detect it, but the location spreads the color throughout the stone. This counters the yellow tint in lower color grades, making a diamond look like a more expensive, colorless grade.

TRUTH

Are fingerprinted high-grade MS Indian Cents hyped, too? If so, you could have cleaned up big time with your PCGS submission. thumbsup2.gif

TRUTH

Are fingerprinted high-grade MS Indian Cents hyped, too? If so, you could have cleaned up big time with your PCGS submission. thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gif

"Are fingerprinted high-grade MS Indian Cents hyped, too? If so, you could have cleaned up big time with your PCGS submission."

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sorry, no copper for me. Too many coin forum sheisters selling them and using the 27_laughing.gif to announce their glee.

TRUTH

"Are fingerprinted high-grade MS Indian Cents hyped, too? If so, you could have cleaned up big time with your PCGS submission."

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sorry, no copper for me. Too many coin forum sheisters selling them and using the 27_laughing.gif to announce their glee.

TRUTH

Dang! It made such a great story! insane.gif

Sheesh-- has it really been that long since you posted that thread?! 893whatthe.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Sheesh-- has it really been that long since you posted that thread?! 893whatthe.gif

Yep, those were the good ole days. Some say I am a phantom legend on the PCGS forums. grin.gif BTW, Andy Lustig was the owner of that coin.

TRUTH

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

1) Truth ATs commems and gets them slabbed, not copper. Where have you been?

2) The story may be fiction. I know parts of it are and I was told by someone "close to the situation" that it may not be as suspected. PCGS has reason not to deny it, but there is question about its accuracy.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

1) Truth ATs commems and gets them slabbed, not copper. Where have you been?

2) The story may be fiction. I know parts of it are and I was told by someone "close to the situation" that it may not be as suspected. PCGS has reason not to deny it, but there is question about its accuracy.

I wonder if you know the ebay bidder "ikilledyourbuyitnow"? I've been told you may have personal knowledge of this person? Looks like he my be doing some monkeybusiness on blue toned indians, no? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Am I a coin doctor?

I took the coin out of my pocket and un-bent it with a sledge hammer between two pieces of wood.

I took the coin out of my pocket, rubbed it down with Deller's Darkener, brushed it, cooked it in a brown paper grocery bag for 5 or 6 hours at 300 degrees, then brushed it again.

I think the sledge hammer bit was you internship, the Deller's Darkner was your 1st year Residency, but cooking in the bag was definately the work of a skilled doctor wink.gif

Am I a coin doctor?

I took the coin out of my pocket and un-bent it with a sledge hammer between two pieces of wood.

I took the coin out of my pocket, rubbed it down with Deller's Darkener, brushed it, cooked it in a brown paper grocery bag for 5 or 6 hours at 300 degrees, then brushed it again.

I think the sledge hammer bit was you internship, the Deller's Darkner was your 1st year Residency, but cooking in the bag was definately the work of a skilled doctor wink.gif

27_laughing.gif

Am I a coin doctor?

makepoint.gif

hi.gif

I wonder if you know the ebay bidder "ikilledyourbuyitnow"? I've been told you may have personal knowledge of this person? Looks like he my be doing some monkeybusiness on blue toned indians, no? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't see any blue monkeys but his feedback is now "private". Interesting.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

I don't see any blue monkeys but his feedback is now "private". Interesting.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

Check out the bids on lot 130049232832 on ebay. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Looks like he's trying to buy some blue monkeys. The price also seems cheap at $450....I could be wrong though...I'm not all that familiar with copper and IHCs.

jom

Looks like he's trying to buy some blue monkeys. The price also seems cheap at $450....I could be wrong though...I'm not all that familiar with copper and IHCs.

jom

Greg, so was that you bidding on a coin of yours that someone else was selling for you on Ebay? I'd sure like to believe otherwise.

Greg, so was that you bidding on a coin of yours that someone else was selling for you on Ebay? I'd sure like to believe otherwise.

Mark, not to skirt your questions, but exactly where did I state that I owned those coins? Please provide the link. Aren't you just assuming that I owned them because some coward likes to use you by sending you auction links they think I am connected to so you can do their dirty work for them?

Where was it stated that jamesandlam was selling the coins for me? Please provide the link. Again, you're just assuming this is the case since the coward pointed you there.

I can say positively that I have never mentioned owning these coins or consigning these coins. I don't believe I've ever publicly commented on these coins at all. Perhaps I would have had you started your "What do you think of these" thread over here, but you choose to start it ATS where you know I can't respond. Classy Mark, real classy! And now you ask me to defend myself on an issue I've never commented on - all based on the conjecture of a scornful coward and an admitted coin doctor - who (cough, cough) doesn't sell the coins he slabs under other peoples IDs, but keeps them for reference.

If the coward or the coin doctor thinks I'm shilling, they are free to contact eBay with their proof or post it here. If they don't have proof, then they can *spoon* off! That goes for anybody with their baseless accusations! Too many whiny *spoon* in coins these days. It's tiring listening to them whine.

And for public knowledge, I did comment on the situation of these coins with you in email, but I never mentioned anything about me owning them or consigning them. If you still have the emails we exchanged, please re-read them and you will notice all I ever did was point out the coward thinks they have something to do with me and you failing to contact either of two people who you believed possibly could shed light on the situation before trying to bring on the public lynching.

Now, lets talk about your thread. Did you ever contact jamesandlam at all to see what he thought of the coins? You started a thread asking for opinions, so I assume a person not on a vendetta would have first contacted the seller about their opinion? Of course you didn't need his opinion since your opinion was fully decided - something you outright told me. Why not just title your thread "Blue Indians I think Greg is connected to. Let's go on the attack rehashing old news!"? Perhaps that is harsh, but it is truthful. You've passed the point of posting to promote knowledge and moved on to the point of promoting a vendetta. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

And everyone can ask themselves this, if everyone assumes that any blue Indians sold by forum members are owned by me, then why would I bother to have someone else sell them for me in a very public venue? What is the upside for me? I'd have to pay a commission to the person selling them and everyone on the forums would just assume they are my coins. Doesn't make much business sense unless I thought they'd get a premium price - and I think even James would tell you he hasn't had the best of luck selling US coins.

Oh well, I'd write more, but there are a lot of coins in the Heritage auction I need to bid on. A lot of them look like they'll upgrade with a little conservation. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif But, I'll leave you with a couple of coins to admire that I recently purchased:

5004_o.jpg

DSCN7341.JPG

DSCN7343.JPG

I think they'll both clean up really nice once the mirrors are relieved of their dirt and grime. I'll let you know how it turns out. Maybe you can start a thread on them asking for opinions. thumbsup2.gif

Now, lets talk about your thread. Did you ever contact jamesandlam at all to see what he thought of the coins?

I contacted the seller over a week ago (on Tues., Nov. 21) and asked about the history of a blue IHC. I never heard back. So who knows? confused-smiley-013.gif

Now, lets talk about your thread. Did you ever contact jamesandlam at all to see what he thought of the coins?

I contacted the seller over a week ago (on Tues., Nov. 21) and asked about the history of a blue IHC. I never heard back. So who knows? confused-smiley-013.gif

893whatthe.gif

TRUTH

I won't speak for James, but perhaps he felt you weren't legitimately interested in the coins and ignored you? I know I get a lot of questions on coins I'm selling and if I feel the person is a tire kicker or busybody (most PCGS forum members that post to the Mark Feld vendetta threads) then I'd ignore you too. I'm not saying this is the case, but it's a possibility.

When I sold a (lovely tissue paper toned) blue 2c a few months ago I got a lot of questions from PCGS forum members. I maybe answered 2-3, ignored a dozen plus, and added a few bidders to my blocked bidder list. smile.gif