• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this coin artificially toned? If so, why?

44 posts in this topic

Keith- that absolutely came from a MintSet. The cardboard and lots of time causes this authentic toning.

I've got the same type of toning on my Franklins- straight from the same mintset.

I have yet to come across this type of color that is AT.

I don't think it can be done, not like that.

Pat,

I agree that we see these all the time, but it's a great picture that someone might be able to explain how this crackling is genuine vs the AT coin in the Heritage auction.

I concur with my esteemed colleage, Sir Braddick of York, the dime is mint set toning, again with the various lint dust interference. This is a case of knowing what mint set toning looks like and the knowlege you attain by looking at many mint set coins. If this dime were to be shown to a 'white' coin expert, he would say that the toning is dirty or ugly or dark. So, I guess, it takes a certain repetative knowlege of what toning looks like. Now, with the Cleveland, up close inspection would reveal that the white 'crackling' interruptions are within certain parts of the coin only, while the dime has scattered interruptions, but clearly blended toning througout the interruptions. Very good comparison coin, Keith.

TRUTH

I have no idea if it is AT as I am not an expert in such things. However, the fact that it is not slabbed is all the potential bidder really needs to know. For a coin like this to have any MARKETABILITY it must be slabbed by one of the top companies. The fact that it isn't slabbed should set off alarm bells. The coin will probably be purchased by a "chance-taker" who will send it in to one of the less reputable slabbing companies in the hope of getting "his" grade. It will than wander the bourse floors and on-line auctions of the world for a very long time, never finding a home in a nice secure safe deposit box.

I concur with my esteemed colleage, Sir Braddick of York, the dime is mint set toning, again with the various lint dust interference. This is a case of knowing what mint set toning looks like and the knowlege you attain by looking at many mint set coins. If this dime were to be shown to a 'white' coin expert, he would say that the toning is dirty or ugly or dark. So, I guess, it takes a certain repetative knowlege of what toning looks like. Now, with the Cleveland, up close inspection would reveal that the white 'crackling' interruptions are within certain parts of the coin only, while the dime has scattered interruptions, but clearly blended toning througout the interruptions. Very good comparison coin, Keith.

TRUTH

Truth,

So what you're saying is that the crackling isn't consistent on the Clevland, and that's the marker. With the dime, the crackling is through the ENTIRE coin, where there are large patches on the half where the crackling doesn't appear, and this is a bad sign. Like on the reverse, the crackling stops before it gets to "Cleveland" but it should continue in. That makes more sense now.

So what you're saying is that the crackling isn't consistent on the Clevland, and that's the marker. With the dime, the crackling is through the ENTIRE coin, where there are large patches on the half where the crackling doesn't appear, and this is a bad sign. Like on the reverse, the crackling stops before it gets to "Cleveland" but it should continue in. That makes more sense now.

There is also no repeating of colors on this coin and it looks like a natural progression of toning colors.

a great informative thread/post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks to all this is lesrning at its best and beats 99.9% of all the threads combined over at the pcgs boards! hands down

and of course with what the cleveland brought i can see there is not only a good profit

but a great market for ugly no brainer AT toned coins!!

simply unbelieveable

There appears to be some sort of new trend at NGC with respect to holdering bad coins IMO. NGC has also holdered a couple of terribly obvious AT jobs on Morgans from an amateur coin doctor on Ebay, as well as quite a few bad AT'd Peace dollars, and now this piece. What are they thinking?

dragon

Someone on the other forum listed a link to an ebay auction of an ngc graded commem {I think it was a pilgrem, but I really don't remember] the topic was about the coin being AT, perhaps someone could post a pic of that coin over here for your opionions, I did think the pattern of the toning on that pilgrem didn't look NT, but I'm no expert.

Les

Someone on the other forum listed a link to an ebay auction of an ngc graded commem {I think it was a pilgrem, but I really don't remember] the topic was about the coin being AT, perhaps someone could post a pic of that coin over here for your opionions, I did think the pattern of the toning on that pilgrem didn't look NT, but I'm no expert.

Les

You'll have to give a bigger hint to the thread. If I search for AT on that forum I'll come up with 3000 posts in the last week. Pilgrim pulls up nothing about AT.

Holy Cow!!! That Washington-Carver is so bad it's almost laughable IMO. As I said before, NGC was asleep at the switch on this one (and many others as well) and needs to be more careful going forward IMO.

dragon