• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to remove coins from NGC or PCGS slabs

14 posts in this topic

Hi Dwaine,

I use the vise method; slabs always crack along the edge as I close the vise while holding the slab in my other hand. After a quick cracking sound, I remove the slab from the vice still together and open the two halves by hand over a cloth.

No problem. thumbsup2.gif

My vise:

vise.jpg

Results:

split-slab.jpg

Paul is correct. I will say though, that I just hammered a coin of a PCGS slab last night. I just hit the top part of the slab. It’s a little iffy though so if you have a vise I would use that.

I take my time and am actually able to reuse most of the slabs I crack although they are few.

O.K. Stan, you hooked me, now reel me in. What do you use cracked slabs for? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

John

I take my time and am actually able to reuse most of the slabs I crack although they are few.

O.K. Stan, you hooked me, now reel me in. What do you use cracked slabs for? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

John

I put coins in them, sometimes the original one goes back in it and little piece of tape on the edge to hold it shut. The slab protects the coin. confused-smiley-013.gif

Slab Chowder 27_laughing.gif

I use the simple hammer trick, but if I owned a vise, I'd probably do that.

The new ANACS slabs, including the 2nd generation so-called "improved" new slabs, can be easily cracked without any tools at all.

I put coins in them, sometimes the original one goes back in it and little piece of tape on the edge to hold it shut.

Well now I’m flopping around on the deck of the boat! 27_laughing.gif

That’s the first time I’ve ever heard of anyone doing that. I would ask why you crack the coins out in the first place if you’re only going to put them back in and tape the slab shut again, or why you don’t just use any of the snap together holders to hold the coins once you crack them, but I sure you must have your reasons. thumbsup2.gif

John

John

I have bought some generic holders from coin world, but I don’t always have the one I need so I use one out of my junk box.

Just for example, I purchased a graded V nickel for my 7070 Type Set and cracked it out to put in the album. The holder was still usable so I ended up placing a nice 1913 T 1 Buffalo Nickel in it and stored it in a slab box. I guess what I’m doing is recycling.

I’m just playing along with you Stan. grin.gif

I figured that you were doing something like that. I like to keep a box of both cardboard and plastic 2x2’s in each coin size handy so I always have one if I need it. wink.gif

John

I've only cracked out 2 coins, and I use the inserts for storage. One was a Kennedy half, and the other a peace dollar. If you cut off the label portion of the insert with a box cutter, the coin part will fit in a flip with the coin inside.