• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An 1883-O VAM-1D Wing Gouges ,,,,,,,I picked up today,,,,,

6 posts in this topic

VAM-1D is an R-6 key variety for 1883-O. It is identified on the reverse by two die gouges, one nearly vertical long gouge pointing down form the bottom of the eagle's left (viewer's right) wing and one shorter gouge at the top of the right wing pointing toward the eagle's eye.

83morgan.jpg

1883orevA.jpg

1883orevB.jpg

1883orevc.jpg

Neat! I never really looked at die gouges before.

Obviously, this is a known variety, but if someone had an example and didn't know about the variety, could they perhaps think it is just a scratch? Or is is sufficiently visually different from a scratch?

Thanks.

-Amanda

Neat! I never really looked at die gouges before.

Obviously, this is a known variety, but if someone had an example and didn't know about the variety, could they perhaps think it is just a scratch? Or is is sufficiently visually different from a scratch?

Thanks.

-Amanda

Hi Amanda,,,I posted a Buff in another thread ,If you get the time give it a look,,

This Vam wasn't discovered until 2000 so there are Known and there are KNOWN..

Since the the gouge is in the die it shows as a mound (For lack of a better term ) and they are pretty easily seen with 5X magnification...

There is a Hot 50 VAM for this year that I am hunting like a mad man Christo_pull_hair.gif so I give the 83 O a pretty good look...