• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SMS vs Business Strikes

6 posts in this topic

Maybe there is something I am missing...

By looking at the census report, SMS version of coins have higher population then their business strike counterparts.

Take for the 2005 P Minn Qtr for example, there are hundreds graded as 67, 68, and 69 for SMS. There are even few graded as MS70.

On the other hand, the highest grade for business strikes so far is only MS67 and the population is much much lower then SMS.

My question is why would SMS of the same grade receives a higher score then business strikes?

Personally, if choosing between business strikes or MS for my MS collection, I would choose BS.

You are definitely on track. The high grade, late date "SMS" pieces (really, satin finish business strikes) are a dime a dozen in high grade, whereas the regular businiess strikes are very difficult to find in high gem and ultra-gem grades. It's absurd that point structures among all denominations do not reflect this.

Hoot

I have mentioned this a few time on points to the powers that be. I have a Business strike SACAGAWEA set and Have found that the 2005's and the 2003's are tough to get any above 67's .. my take is that the sorter for the rolls that business strikes get inserted into damage the coins ...

I have had to settle for 67 on the 2005's and 67 on the 2003d ... To go higher is not worth hitting the pocket book that hard.

my 2c

sig.jpg

Many of the high-grade business strikes originated in mint sets, and when mint sets changed to Satin Finish, business strikes became very rare in high grades. 2005 Satin Finish coins were very well made and preserved, and MS69's are common for most issues. However, something that few people seem to have noticed is that 2006 Satin Finish coins are not common AT ALL in MS69; they are very rare, check the pops! Some issues had less than 10 graded last time I checked, and even the more common ones were a fraction of last years numbers at the same time last year. The affect of this is that for 2006, both business strikes and SMS coins are tough, if not very rare.

There are years when regular issue coins run pretty good and years they don't. The same has been true for the mint sets. If things remain as they are there will be plenty of surprises in the relative availability of these and this goes especially for coins that haven't been issued in rolls by the mint; cents and dimes.

Since the mint used some of their Satin Finish dies for regular Business Strikes and some of the BS that I see on Ebay look alot like SMS coins in MS holders I don't see any way to seperate the two for the sake of registry grading.

That said, I have started two sets for my 2006 Mint sets. One named KDB_SMS the other named KDB_BusinessStrikes.

If we really want to have the coins seperated and compared on their own merits I think we all need to start doing this and hope that NGC sees fit to seperate the two the way they do Proofs and MS coins.