• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alas! Photographing dark copper is the bane of mine existance!

14 posts in this topic

Amanda, I think that it's a great picture. Bruce Lee did a great job with my copper. I had a tough time with it. I took you pic and auto enhanced it, the tweaked down the shadow on tone adjustment and then lightly sharpened it. I think minor adjustments like this help.

1491091-drapedhc.jpg

1491091-drapedhc.jpg.c68f6400e7219ac4b26d220008ae7c0b.jpg

I like your photo, Amanda, and I also like the coin. What we all tend to forget is that our photos look different on various monitors. For example, Victor's photo of your coin looks over-sharpened and too light on my monitor, but I realize that's not the case for his. The digital signal interpretation is only in accord with the monitor and graphics devices of the computer on which the photo is being viewed.

As for your coin, I personally like circulated early U.S. coppers quite a bit, and yours looks like many half cent pieces. The rims are rough, but not overly distracting to me, although they may be to someone else. The slick left side of the reverse is typical for the late die state of this issue (plain 4, C-11), as the reverse die gave way and sank or became uneven due to the repeated strikings. Indeed, your coin is a very late die state, which would make it a bit more rare than the ovberall rarity of the variety, which is R.3+. I'd call your coin a G5 details, G4 net due to the rim dings. Nice and interesting piece.

Hoot

Thanks, guys. smile.gif

Victor- I try to stay away from enhancing my pictures in photoshop, because that usually means I didn't take the picture properly in the first place, but Hoot brings up a good point in that different monitors show pictures differently. I like your half cent! It is a crosslet four, stems to wreath if I am not mistaken.

Hoot- Thanks! That's some neat info I didn't know before. The rims don't bother me, and I am actually not sure they are dings, as there is no displacement of metal like you can see on a rim-dinged coin. My thought was that they were perhaps planchet flaws, but they are only apparent on the obverse. Whatever they are, they have been there for a very long time. smile.gif

Mike- I use two halogen desk lamps that I picked up at IKEA for 6 bucks a piece.

This is the first coin I fell in love with. cloud9.gif

-Amanda

by the way Victor, that's a very nice half cent, color, planchet, strike, everything, Bruce did very well with the photography.

Thanks, Mike. PCGS just graded it VF30. I really like it. cloud9.gif

Bruce was phenominal in imaging copper. acclaim.gif

Thanks, guys. smile.gif

Victor- I try to stay away from enhancing my pictures in photoshop, because that usually means I didn't take the picture properly in the first place, but Hoot brings up a good point in that different monitors show pictures differently. I like your half cent! It is a crosslet four, stems to wreath if I am not mistaken.

Hoot- Thanks! That's some neat info I didn't know before. The rims don't bother me, and I am actually not sure they are dings, as there is no displacement of metal like you can see on a rim-dinged coin. My thought was that they were perhaps planchet flaws, but they are only apparent on the obverse. Whatever they are, they have been there for a very long time. smile.gif

Mike- I use two halogen desk lamps that I picked up at IKEA for 6 bucks a piece.

This is the first coin I fell in love with. cloud9.gif

-Amanda

Yep, the sharpening put the coin over the edge. I liked the auto enhance, though. Yet, as Hoot said, monitors are so different. For the longest time, I was placing brown backgrounds in my cut out coins because I thought that it was black. It was on my monitor, anyway. I guess all areas of life have a learning curve. You're advancing pretty good on the curve, Amanda. I'm impressed with your input to the boards and I'm glad that you're sticking. Most ladies make a presence for a few weeks and then disappear, never to be heard from again.

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif