• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1965 SMS Kennedy......MS65 Cam......Opinions on the grade please

5 posts in this topic

The photos make it look MS66-7 DCAM... It says 65 on the slab. Possible upgrade.

I think it may have been held back to 65 because of the disturbances on the reverse. Very chattery.

In these coins, I have found you need to pay attention to strike, mirrors, hits, hairlines, and spotting -- some of which (strike, mirrors, and hairlines) are very difficult to judge without the coin in-hand.

Strike: Looks a little weak, particularly on the lower half of the eagle, but I must admit I'm not all that familiar with the striking characteristics of the SMS coins.

Mirrors: Look a bit flowlined, but that's not terrible in and of itself. It is tough to say if the mirrors are still strong.

Hits: The obverse looks pretty good, but there looks to be a hit on the shield and above the rightmost thigh on the reverse.

Hairlines: There seem to be a few, but again it's tough to tell if they are in the coin or in the photo.

Spotting: There seems to be some spotting, but not overly so.

CAM looks reasonable, but it is tough to tell from the photo just where on the scale it sits.

Given the above, I'm OK with the 65, but wouldn't be surprised to see it in a 66 holder either.

All IMHO, and hoping this helps...Mike