• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint redesigned state quarters

9 posts in this topic

I recall reading an article, last year, where California had a problem with the design that was preferred by its residents, but, it was an "in house" issue rather than with the US Mint. In a nutshell the design for the 2005 coin that was minted was not the one that received the popular vote.

I wish that I could find the article as it was interesting press.

I recall reading an article, last year, where California had a problem with the design that was preferred by its residents, but, it was an "in house" issue rather than with the US Mint. In a nutshell the design for the 2005 coin that was minted was not the one that received the popular vote.

I wish that I could find the article as it was interesting press.

This CoinWorld article shows a number of CA submissions but it's too early to say which one one. Here are two images from that article:

news1_big.jpg

news1b_big.jpg

How many state quarter designs submitted by the states were changed by the US Mint? So far I'm aware of Delaware, Maine and Missouri.

According to the Mint, the answer is NONE.

The concept drawing that are sent to the Mint are concepts and were not asked for. The rules that the Mint uses says that a narrative is to be submitted and the Mint will produce artistic renderings that fit the design and can be coined. To this point, the Mint has not used a single drawing submitted by a state as is.

The Mint takes three or four concepts from the states and returns an artist rendering of the design. If a concept drawing is sent, it might be used as inspiration, but will not be part of the final design. The state chooses the design, which then has to be approved by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee and then the US Commission of Fine Arts before it can be coined.

There was an article in (I think) Coinage where John Mercanti, Manager of the Engraving Department, said that the majority of the concepts could not be coined because they did not take the physics of the process into consideration. One of the biggest mistakes was to place the highest spot of the reverse opposite the highest spot on the obverse, which would wear dies quicker than otherwise.

Scott hi.gif

How many state quarter designs submitted by the states were changed by the US Mint? So far I'm aware of Delaware, Maine and Missouri.

According to the Mint, the answer is NONE.

The concept drawing that are sent to the Mint are concepts and were not asked for. The rules that the Mint uses says that a narrative is to be submitted and the Mint will produce artistic renderings that fit the design and can be coined. To this point, the Mint has not used a single drawing submitted by a state as is.

If this is the case, the correct answer is that ALL are changed from the designs the states submit. I didn't ask if Mint asked for the designs or not, just whether the US Mint final design is different from the ones submitted by the states.

According to this CoinWorld article, the US Mint created a view of the Maine coast that doesn't exist!

Apparently the Mint is using actual designs from Daniel Carr for the NY and RI quarters with trivial changes. He also has an ICG Signature Series for the NY and RI quarters. If we use NY, RI, CA, DE, ME and MO as a sample set, it seems like the US Mint used the designs for NY and RI while making dramatic changes to the designs for CA, DE, ME and MO. There doesn't seem to be a consistent policy unless I'm missing something. Of course you can say those trivial changes for NY and RI disqualify them from being the same but IMO, they are essentially the same design as submitted.