• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin

41 posts in this topic

What do you all think about the new $1.00 coins representing the US Presidents. This is going to be similar to the 50 state quarter program. This is going to make the mint and proof sets very big for the next several years. There will be four coins each year. So now the sets will contain about 13 coins.

I wonder how much the Mint Sets are going to cost?

1c - P&D

5c - P&D

10c - P&D

25c - P&D (x 5 for states quarters)

50c - P&D

$1 - P&D (x 4 Presidents per year)

Total - 26 coins

I wouldn't be surprised if the price is near $30.

Chris

I suspect the mint set will be close to 23 and the proff will be around 28 and the silver proof will be around 45. They are also going to produce $10 gold spouse coins. The first coing should be revealed around November 20th.

I love the idea. It will give every president an honor. As we know, some were not remarkable in their service. But they were still presidents of this great republic and should be honor! I am on the Mint's mailing list and the following was included in a mailing I received today:

The United States Mint, along with the Federal Reserve, is providing the first glimpse of the first four Presidential $1 Coin designs on November 20, 2006. This unveiling will be followed by the official release of the first Presidential $1 Coin, featuring George Washington, on February 15, 2007 — in time for Presidents Day. New Presidential $1 Coins will be issued quarterly thereafter through at least 2016, in the order in which the presidents served. Additional $1 coins scheduled for circulation in 2007 will feature Presidents John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. Also, a complete, printable coin release schedule is available.

sign-rantpost.gif One president that deserves to be on regular coinage is Theodore Roosevelt. He was the reason there was a renaissance with our coinage when he said that a great nation needed great coins. Roosevelt was directly responsible for the recruiting Augustus Saint-Gaudens and Victor David Brenner to create coin designs. His influence also inspired the works of Bella Pratt Lyons for the quarter and half eagles. As a reformer, man of strength, man of peace (the first president to win the Nobel Peace Prize while in office), and a man of great vision for this country, it is a exasperating that TR is not on a circulating coin! BULLY!

Scott hi.gif

That was one of my questions, wondering if they were even going to be included in the mint sets. From what I've read, they were only going to be circulated coins??? Besides the spouse proofs.(shrug)

I'm not crazy about the Presidental Dollar series because:

(a) $1 coins aren't really in general circulation the way quarters are. Without getting rid of the dollar bill, the average person isn't going to run across these coins.

(b) I don't think they are going to get rid of the dollar bill for this.

© The reverse on all the coins is the same so you're just looking at a bunch of different busts. I'd prefer a reverse depicting some event during that person's presidency.

I'm not crazy about the Presidental Dollar series because:

(a) $1 coins aren't really in general circulation the way quarters are. Without getting rid of the dollar bill, the average person isn't going to run across these coins.

(b) I don't think they are going to get rid of the dollar bill for this.

© The reverse on all the coins is the same so you're just looking at a bunch of different busts. I'd prefer a reverse depicting some event during that person's presidency.

Very well said!

I would like to see these coins circulate for educational purposes and for the US to get rid of the $1.00 bill. Print more $2.00 if you want a smaller bill than a five.

To be honest, I'm not really looking forward to any of them in a circulated state. The composition is supposed to be the same as that of the Sacagawea, and we all know how ugly those coins have become in a circulated state.

Chris

To be honest, I'm not really looking forward to any of them in a circulated state. The composition is supposed to be the same as that of the Sacagawea, and we all know how ugly those coins have become in a circulated state.
Good point. I'm also wondering what the collectors version will be. If it's silver, it won't look like the circulation ones. If it's gold, it will be expensive.

Don't forget that the Sacagawea $ is still going to be made along side them.

I think it would be much more meaningful if they did to the reverse something that represented each of the Presidents, like they're doing on the $10 first lady coins. I also was planning on collecting the first lady coins but then when I realized they were $10 gold coins, that'll run another $1000 a year and I think they're shooting themselves in the foot there ... especially because the first lady was usually the more likeable and memorable of the two, like Dolly Madison.

The reverse of all of the coins will be an image of the Statue of Liberty. The report was that the Mint will be using an image of the Statue that is similar to one of the commemoratives issued in 1986. Because the Statue of Liberty is being used on the coin, the word "Liberty" is not required.

This will be the first time since the minting of the Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle that a circulating coin will include edge lettering. E Pluribus Unum and In God We Trust will be incused on the edge of the coin.

There will be only one coin design per president and one coin for all terms and one coin issued for each non-consecutive terms. So Franklin D. Roosevelt will have only one coin in the program and Grover Cleveland will have two coins, each with different inscriptions of his terms (1885-1889 and 1893-1987).

Along with the presidential coin, a First Spouse $10 Bullion Coin will be issued on the same schedule as the Presidential coin. The First Spouse coin will be the same diameter of the $1 coin and contain one-half ounce of 99.99 percent pure gold purchased at fair market value from US sources. The obverse will have the name and likeness of the President's spouse and with the year and order of term, just like the President's coin. On the reverse will be "images emblematic of the life and work of the first spouse" and the inscription United States of America.

In the case of no first spouse, the image will be emblematic of the concept of Liberty. The reverse will represent themes of the corresponding president. The exception will be for President Chester A. Arthur, the 21st President who was widowed when he took office in 1881. The first spouse coin will honor Alice Paul, suffragist, who was born during Arthur's term. The reverse will represent the suffrage movement.

The Mint is authorized to make bronze medals of the First Spouse bullion coin but has not announced its intend to do so.

sign-rantpost.gif Finally, I agree with everyone else that the coin is doomed to failure as long as the paper dollar and SAC dollar are also circulate. The paper dollar more so than the SAC dollar.

Scott hi.gif

....especially because the first lady was usually the more likeable and memorable of the two, like Dolly Madison.

.......and Marilyn Monroe! devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

Don't forget Sally Hemings!

Chris

Chris, I believe I read in a recent edition of Coin World that the law which authorized this Presedential Dollar program also stated that they must be of a composition and finish so as to not tarnish prematurely, like the Sacs have done. But, CW didn't have any details yet as to how the Mint will accomplish this.

I, too, would like to see the $1 paper note eliminated. They could make a new $2 coin and put good old George Washington on it, since he's currently on the $1 note.

I, too, would like to see the $1 paper note eliminated. They could make a new $2 coin and put good old George Washington on it, since he's currently on the $1 note.
I think finding another place for George is a big issue. I get the feeling that a $1 coin without the bill would be more popular than the quarter. If that's the case maybe George could go on the $1 coin. We can graduate Lincoln to the quarter in anticipation of getting rid of the penny (like that's ever going to happen).

Chris, I believe I read in a recent edition of Coin World that the law which authorized this Presedential Dollar program also stated that they must be of a composition and finish so as to not tarnish prematurely, like the Sacs have done. But, CW didn't have any details yet as to how the Mint will accomplish this.

Since 2001, the Mint has added a coating to the SAC dollars that limits the tarnish problem. This was introduced in the middle of the year, so there are some 2001 SAC dollars without the coating. The Mint claims the coating works. I just have not seen it.

Scott hi.gif

I feel the $10 First Lady program will be a dog.

In 10-15 years after issue the worst dogs will bring big bucks, compared to the popular ones.

I agree but the question is how much of a dog will it be. Will the mintages be in the 4 digits like the Library of Congress BiMetallic uncircs?

I would like to see these coins circulate for educational purposes and for the US to get rid of the $1.00 bill. Print more $2.00 if you want a smaller bill than a five.

Educational to whom? We currently have six different people (5 of whom were presidents) on our circulating coinage (and I'm being generous and calling 50c and $1 coins 'circulating'). I guarantee you that if you brought out an example of each, 6/10 people on the street would have trouble identifying every person's name. I'll go further and bet you that 2/10 couldn't tell you more than 5 notable things about Jefferson, Roosevelt, or Sacagawea, and the same proportion of people could (maybe) spell Sacagawea correctly.

And you're postulating that if we put generally unknown (to the population as a whole) people like John Tyler and Millard Fillmore on the (hardly) circulating dollar coins that it will provide an educational benefit to the population? Do you honestly think more than 1/10 people on the street could identify the person without seeing their name? Or would care to learn?

It's never going to make a difference. It's just going to net us a bunch of boring designs on a poorly thought-out alloy (that spots like the dickens) for the purpose of fleecing the collectors of more money.

AND FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, CAN WE PLEASE JUST STICKY THIS TOPIC SO WE DON'T HAVE A NEW THREAD FOR IT EVERY OTHER WEEK?!?!?!

And you're postulating that if we put generally unknown (to the population as a whole) people like John Tyler and Millard Fillmore on the (hardly) circulating dollar coins that it will provide an educational benefit to the population? Do you honestly think more than 1/10 people on the street could identify the person without seeing their name? Or would care to learn?
I think they'll care to the point that they put them in albums wink.gif I know a 7 year old collecting state quarters on an album with a map of the US. Many kids can't even name all the 50 states and I'm sure the album + quarters helps to some extent. Just create an album for the Presidents that has a couple sentences on each. Then again knowing the states is more important than knowing all the old Presidents. People like John Tyler and Millard Fillmore really have no relevance to kids today. This is another reason why I think depicting an event on the reverse is better, more educational value.

Michael wrote: "Educational to whom? We currently have six different people (5 of whom were presidents) on our circulating coinage (and I'm being generous and calling 50c and $1 coins 'circulating'). I guarantee you that if you brought out an example of each, 6/10 people on the street would have trouble identifying every person's name. I'll go further and bet you that 2/10 couldn't tell you more than 5 notable things about Jefferson, Roosevelt, or Sacagawea, and the same proportion of people could (maybe) spell Sacagawea correctly."

I've used circulating coins with school age children to lead them deeper into understanding American history and why a person would be honored on a coin. So what if most don't care? It can benefit others who do.

I also fear that we will have many boring designs. The earlier suggestion of something unique about the individual President would be helpful. How about "Tippecanoe and Tyler too!" One of the first political slogans used in American politics, or "Old Kinderhook" from which the letters "O.K." originated. If we are going to use the Presidents on coins, we may as well get the most out of them that we can. Otherwise it will be only for collectors and not all that exciting either.

Michael wrote: "Educational to whom? We currently have six different people (5 of whom were presidents) on our circulating coinage (and I'm being generous and calling 50c and $1 coins 'circulating'). I guarantee you that if you brought out an example of each, 6/10 people on the street would have trouble identifying every person's name. I'll go further and bet you that 2/10 couldn't tell you more than 5 notable things about Jefferson, Roosevelt, or Sacagawea, and the same proportion of people could (maybe) spell Sacagawea correctly."

I've used circulating coins with school age children to lead them deeper into understanding American history and why a person would be honored on a coin. So what if most don't care? It can benefit others who do.

I also fear that we will have many boring designs. The earlier suggestion of something unique about the individual President would be helpful. How about "Tippecanoe and Tyler too!" One of the first political slogans used in American politics, or "Old Kinderhook" from which the letters "O.K." originated. If we are going to use the Presidents on coins, we may as well get the most out of them that we can. Otherwise it will be only for collectors and not all that exciting either.

Sorry, but I have to agree with Michael on this point. A few years ago, a study was conducted in which first semester college students were asked to identify their home state from just the outlines on a map that had no writing or other geographical features (rivers, mountains, lakes, etc.) on it. 80% of them could not.

Don't forget about the man who was taken to the Baltimore police station for trying to pass $2 bills at a fast-food joint. The staff, there, and the police thought they were counterfeit. He was detained at the station until Treasury agents arrived.

Also, I think one of our own members told us that another fast-food joint refused to accept Sacagawea's because they thought they were fake.

Heck, many kids today can't even spell or use words in their proper context because they are too busy listening to that rap cr@p. I'll bet most of them wouldn't know the difference between an isthmus and a peninsula. How about asking some of them in which jurisdiction the Lincoln Memorial is located? Where is the Liberty Bell located? Who is on the dime? These are coins that have been around for 60-100 years, and I'll bet most kids wouldn't know the answers.

I hate to say it, but the select few that you may think this program would benefit probably already know the answers and much, much more, and are capable of discovering these facts on their own.

Chris

I hate to say it, but the select few that you may think this program would benefit probably already know the answers and much, much more, and are capable of discovering these facts on their own.
Hmm, if no one is being helped by the US Mint state quarters program, someone(s) probably needs to be fired for wasting US government resources on a failed education program. Should the Presidential Dollar program be stopped before more effort is wasted? Should No Child Left Behind include some tests to see if knowledge of states and geography is increasing? While the state quarter program may make money through proof sets, etc. people may need to be held accountable as to whether the program is achieving it's stated goals.

Teachers I've talked to have told me a lot of education is about helping those that want and can be helped. You can't force people to learn but you can make sure those with the interest and capability have the best opportunies. Your examples focus on a certain type of person. Either the state quarters help some kids or they don't. If they do help some kids then you should mention them. If they don't, then the quarters program, and the Presidents program even more so, are a distraction and waste of resources with respect to the stated goals.