• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the US have a Purple Heart enamel dollar?

20 posts in this topic

Should the US Mint make a Purple Heart enamel dollar to go along with Canada's Medal of Bravery dollar? Of course that means the US would have to get into coloring coins. What do you think of the increasing use of coin coloring by mints such as Canada?

Just when I thought my sensibilities were immune from further insult, the proof to the contrary is abundant.Please, tell me that France reallydidn't do that.Maybe thats a recruiting coin for thier army. makepoint.gif

I am not a fan of "color" coins although I did purchase the Montreal Canadians, and, Toronto Maple Leafs coin sets from the RCM last year. I purchase those sets because I like ice hockey.

I do like the idea of the US minting a Purple Heart coin. I'd prefer that it not be "colored."

Hello all! Since my picture from the Beautiful Coins web site was already used in this forum, I thought I could give my opinion on this topic.

Obviously, a lot of people do not like colored coins, and I understand that. I also believe that it can be done in a tasteful way. The colored Medal of Bravery was made in such a way, in my opinion.

The one they made without any coloring is also really great, if not better. It's just a nice design.

Has anyone seen the Pink Ribbon circulating quarters and the proof commemorative $5 coin from the RCM? The program is to raise the awareness of breast cancer and money to support the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. I wrote about the coins on my blog when I purchased them.

The quarter has a simple pink ribbon with a white circular background. The proof commemorative has the pink ribbon within the design. The ribbon is colored but the rest of the coin is not.

IMHO: This coin is a wonderful example as to how a little color can help. I am not saying that every colored coin the RCM produces is good. I am saying that I like the Pink Ribbon coin and what they are trying to do.

1486830-RCM_BreastCancerProof.jpg

1486830-RCM_BreastCancerProof.jpg.459365528c5e13c0d8345bbfc5941eb6.jpg

Hello all! Since my picture from the Beautiful Coins web site was already used in this forum, I thought I could give my opinion on this topic.
Welcome Patrice! I hope you don't mind my using the Hello Kitty image (I did include a link to the page). Your website has some great pics, that particular one just stood out at the time.
Obviously, a lot of people do not like colored coins, and I understand that. I also believe that it can be done in a tasteful way. The colored Medal of Bravery was made in such a way, in my opinion.
I think the use of enamel is interesting and haven't made a decision on it yet. Licensing commercial logos from Hello Kitty and the NHL is going too far for me personally but I still like seeing what coins are being made and if they find a following.

Has anyone seen the Pink Ribbon circulating quarters and the proof commemorative $5 coin from the RCM? The program is to raise the awareness of breast cancer and money to support the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. I wrote about the coins on my blog when I purchased them.
I haven't seen them yet but your blog mentions they have been put in circulation. Are the ones in circulation colored? If so it will be interesting to see how they hold up.

Are the ones in circulation colored? If so it will be interesting to see how they hold up.

To my knowledge, only two colored circulation coins exist in the world. And yes, they are both Canadian:

The Poppy Quarter 2004 pays homage to the Canadian men and women who gave their lives in service, as well as the veterans who helped to secure freedom.

The Pink Ribbon Quarter 2006 is the symbol of hope and awareness in the effort to create a future without breast cancer.

In circulation, the poppy lost most of its red coloring pretty fast. The Royal Canadian Mint has improved the process for the Pink Ribbon coin, but I believe that the white and pink is still easily scratched off.

To my knowledge, only two colored circulation coins exist in the world.

[...]

In circulation, the poppy lost most of its red coloring pretty fast. The Royal Canadian Mint has improved the process for the Pink Ribbon coin, but I believe that the white and pink is still easily scratched off.

Good to know. I'll look for some circulating Poppy and Pink Ribbon quarters the next time I'm in Canada.

Good to know. I'll look for some circulating Poppy and Pink Ribbon quarters the next time I'm in Canada.

If you want, PM me and I can sell some Pink Ribbon quarters taken from RCM rolls. I have a roll I opened for someone else, so I can part with a few.

Scott hi.gif

If you want, PM me and I can sell some Pink Ribbon quarters taken from RCM rolls. I have a roll I opened for someone else, so I can part with a few.
Thanks for the offer, however I'm specifically interested in seeing if I can pick them up from circulation and see what condition they are in. I have this strange interest in picking up interesting coins from circulation when I can smile.gif

Thanks for the offer, however I'm specifically interested in seeing if I can pick them up from circulation and see what condition they are in. I have this strange interest in picking up interesting coins from circulation when I can smile.gif

No problem. I love change picking, too!

I do it all of the time.

Scott hi.gif