• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this harm my coins?

5 posts in this topic

I currently am putting all my coins in cardboard 2x2 mylar holders, then inserting the holders into 20-pocket plastic album pages. My question is this: does repeated inserting and removing of the 2x2's from the album pages cause any wear on the coin? I've read that insertion of a raw coin directly into albums can cause "slider" damage, but I've never read whether this also applies to coins that are already inside a 2x2. Does the mylar window totally protect the coin from sliding damage? Thanks for any insights.

When people mention slide marks, they are usually referenceing larger albums with plastic slides and holes where the coins go in. interting the 2x2's into a plastic page shouldn't harm them. Unless, as Zach said, the mylar is damaged.

Howdy,

Just make certain the plastic album pages are inert and designed for long term storage. If they contain PVC this could attack the coins' surfaces over time because mylar 2x2s aren't hermetically sealed.

Beijim