• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

China proofs and the (P) mark

2 posts in this topic

I'm just starting to look into modern Chinese commemoratives but it seems like some proofs have the (P) mark and some don't. From what I've seen, (P) is used when both proof and uncirculated editions are minted but if there is only a proof version, (P) is omitted. Is this correct?

One case I'm thinking of is the China 1994-1997 Unicorn series. It seems that in 1994 and 1997 both proof and uncirculated editions were made so the proofs have a (P) but in 1995 and 1996 there were only proofs so they don't have the (P) mark. If I wanted to get the 1994-1997 proof unicorns in a multi-holder, would they all be labeld as proofs even though the 1995 and 1996 coins don't have a (P)?

In the case of the 1995 China dinosaurs, I believe only proofs were minted and no (P) is on them. Would these be marked as proofs on the NGC label?

NGC will call the coins proof if the government issued the coins as proof. While they maybe proof quality such as recent panda coins, the Chinese Mint calls the coins Mint State. Because of this NGC will call these coins Mint State. If other issues are issued as proof from the Chinese Mint regardless if they retain a “P” or not NGC will designate them proof.