• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1892 Barber Proof

10 posts in this topic

I've always been a sucker for nice cameo contrast. This one is graded NGC PR64CAM and has nice white devices. The scratches you see are on the slab, not the coin. The images are by Mr. Krypton himself (Thank you Shane).

BarberHalf92_64cam_1600.jpg

What a great coin! The proofs of the late 1800s and early 1900s were the very best - at the peak of the craft. Yours displays every feature desirable - full strike with nicely contrasting devices and some light but lovely toning. Nobody has dipped this piece in recent decades to take the skin off of the mirror fields. Superb. thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

I've always been a sucker for nice cameo contrast. This one is graded NGC MS64CAM and has nice white devices. The scratches you see are on the slab, not the coin. The images are by Mr. Krypton himself (Thank you Shane).

BarberHalf92_64cam_1600.jpg

Sy, I believe you mean PF64 tongue.gif That is a great looking coin thumbsup2.gif

Nobody has dipped this piece in recent decades to take the skin off of the mirror fields.

Mark,

That was the first thing that caught my eye when I viewed the coin.

Very nice coin you have there SkyMan. thumbsup2.gif

John

Thank you folks for all the kind words.

...Sy, I believe you mean PF64 tongue.gif That is a great looking coin thumbsup2.gif

WHOOOOPS!!! blush.gif Brain vapor lock. tongue.gif Yes, obbiddoviously it is a proof. My bad.

Actually this one is not a Newp. I got it at the SF ANA show in July 2005. I had been looking for a nice pr64cam Barber half for about 2 years. I thought it would be relatively easy to find as there are a fair amount of them out there. The Santa Clara show is just down the road from where I live, so there were 4 shows during this time span. During that time I found plenty of pr64 and pr65cam/dcam Barber halves, but no pr64cams. It got rather surprising after awhile. Finally with the SF ANA in town I had my pick of 2 pr64cams. This one cost $1,600. The other one was a bit nicer, but the owner wanted $2,500 for it and it certainly wasn't that much better. I'm quite happy with this one.

Sy sent me a batch of amazing coins to image....and this was my favorite of the bunch!!! Beautiful coin with really clean fields and the touch of toning really sets off the cameo contrast. You could look a long time and not find more value in a coin purchase then this one..... headbang.gif