• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should NGC treat Redfield/Paramount slabs like GSAs and ......

Should NGC grade coins within the original Paramount slabs?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should NGC grade coins within the original Paramount slabs?

5 posts in this topic

certify, authenticate and grade the coin directly in the old Paramount holders.

Now that NGC is doing this with Ikes and have had great success with the Morgan GSAs, should they try this with Redfield $ in the old Paramount slabs?

I don't see too many of these around anymore and it would be interesting for NGC to try and preserve these holders instead of forcing them to be cracked out and pedigreed on the NGC slabs.

Any thoughts pro or con?

Thanks

~Michael

Fratt.....ah redfields...one of my favorite topics.

I wish they would grade them in the original "slab". To me, buying an NGC "pedigreed" Redfield is like buying any other silver dollar...

Because of the small size of the slab, they'd have to get creative with how they mark em. I think the biggest influx would be the black slab MS 60s, which are often of a higher grade.

One downside is that I don't think there are that many Redfield collectors out there compared to say the GSA stuff....and the GSA dollars (CC anyway) are generally rarer and more valuable coins to start with. sumo.gif

My experience has been the surviving Redfields are grossly overgraded and many collectors are overpaying for the coins. I would rather they be cracked out of their Redfield holders, properly graded and if a pedigree is needed, fine. Personally, I don't understand the "value" associated with the pedigree.

I remember, when I lived in LA, going through many Paramount Holder/Redfield's. Most were grossly over graded as MS65's. By todays standards, these same coins would be MS62/63, or even AU's. Many coins were contaminated (Peach Juice?, whatever) and are almost worthless as collector pieces unless one just wants a Redfield. Most were accumulated by the bag with no eye for quality. Redfield was a hoarder and a miser. He did not care about Numismatics at all. Many of the Peace Dollars are abraded, stained junk that laid in bags in a basement for many years.