• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High quality Jefferson nickels - fit for the finest set, plus registry

5 posts in this topic

As an eBay pre-sale, I'd like to offer those of you on the boards, registry set collectors and non-reg collectors alike, the opportunity to obtain some excellent Jefferson nickels. These are coins that I've had in my collection for several years, and have truly enjoyed. The descriptions that I've written with them were written with eBay in mind, but do correctly describe the pieces. The prices (these are prices, delivered) that I've attached are derived from a price guide that I just wrote for an upcoming major publication and from my perusals of recent auctions. They are based on auction prices realized, but in a couple of cases are stronger than that due to exceptional quality of the coins. All of these coins are quite nice. For those of you not interested, I hope you enjoy the pics, etc.

The coins:

1938-S Jeff 5c MS65fs PCGS

1939-D rev38 Jeff 5c MS66 PCGS

1939-S rev38 Jeff 5c MS64fs

1940-D Jeff 5c MS67 5fs NGC

SOLD!1941 Jeff 5c MS66 5fs NGC

SOLD!1942-P Jeff 5c MS67fs PCGS

1942-S Jeff 5c MS66fs PCGS

1944-D Jeff 5c MS66fs PCGS

1944-D Jeff 5c MS67 "star" NGC

1944-P Jeff 5c MS66 PCGS

1944-S Jeff 5c MS66 PCGS

1944-S Jeff 5c MS67 NGC

1961 Jeff 5c MS67 NGC

1938-S Jefferson 5c MS-65 full steps PCGS. An extraordinarily well detailed piece for the first year of issue, with steps that are as close to 6-6-6-6 as they get with the 1938 issues. This piece is exceptional overall, but only slightly dull in luster, which is what limits the grade. The luster, however, is quite a bit better than my scan depicts and the coin is nearly white with only a hint of patina. A nickel for true Jefferson full step enthusiasts and registry collectors alike. $375

1478752-1938-SJeff5cMS65fsPCGS02-228.jpg

1939-D reverse of 1938 Jefferson 5c MS-66 PCGS. This is a coin that will be admired repeatedly by the true Jefferson nickel enthusiast. The detail is exquisite, although the steps are not quite full. One must look at the entire coin, however, to appreciate the sharpness and fullness of detail. And to make this bit of wonder even better, the luster is superb and the coin boasts a very attractive patina, which is a uniform gold. Truly an outstanding example of one of the keys to the series and a piece that will rival the quality of any in the finest of collections. $130

1478754-1939-Drev38Jeff5cMS66PCGS03-130.jpg

1939-S reverse of 1938 Jefferson 5c MS-64 full steps PCGS. Anyone who has pursued this series knows how difficult this issue is to find with full steps. San Francisco apparently did not harden their dies well in these years, as most of the pieces are mushy and show very poor detail throughout. About 75% of the coins from San Francisco in 1939 were produced with the reverse of 1938, but very few of those display full steps. This coin is very well detailed and the coin appears to have been struck from middle die state dies. The patina is far more fetching in-hand than my scan shows, and the coin is overall attractive, with a radiant luster. A few stray nicks keep it from a higher grade, but that makes this piece relatively affordable for the type. $350

1478756-1939-Srev38Jeff5cMS64fsPCGS.jpg

1940-D Jefferson 5c MS-67 5 full steps NGC. This is a coin that speaks well for itself. It's hard to speak of a piece that shows such superb surfaces, strike, luster, and natural coloration. Truly a terrific piece with fantastic eye appeal and steps that are only slightly weak under pillar 3, quite nearly 6-6-6-6. This is a coin for those who love the caviar of the series or of a superb type collection. $225

1478757-1940-DJeff5cMS675fsNGC02-348.jpg

SOLD!1941 Jefferson 5c MS-66 5 full steps NGC. Cracked from an old NGC holder, and formerly graded MS66fs, this coin is truly a 6-6-6-6 step piece, but with only the hint of weakness under pillar 3 seems to keep this coin from attaining the 6fs designation. I've submitted the coin twice to NGC and once to PCGS, each time attaining the MS66 fs grade. ~Sigh~ It's as close to a 67 as they come, but mere hint of a scuff on Jefferson's check limits the grade. With gorgeous patina and superb luster, this is a rare and wonderful piece. $130

1478759-1941Jeff5cMS665fsNGC04-210.jpg

SOLD!1942-P Jefferson 5c MS-67 full steps PCGS. My scans simply cannot capture the beauty and comeliness of this coin. This is a superb piece and a true conditional rarity for the series. 1942-P nickels are silver-copper-manganese and are quite soft, thus prone to scuffs and marks, which most of them bear. This piece is veritably mark-free and displays an excellent natural skin. Details are superb, with steps that are a solid 5-5-5-5. It's difficult to impossible to improve upon this coin for the early wartime Jeffs, and this will make a coveted addition to any registry collection. $520

1942-S Jefferson 5c MS-66 full steps PCGS. I'm embarrassed to say that I do not know who owns the rightful provenance of the "Drude Collection" but I can tell you that the coins I've seen from the collection are nearly all superb. This piece is definitely one of the finest, with silky surfaces that are totally original, and detail that makes for one of the prettiest 1942-S nickels that I've seen. This coin is difficult for me to give up, and I believe that the new owner will be proud to display this in the set of the finest Jefferson nickels. $250

1478763-1942-SJeff5cMS66fsPCGS03-182.jpg

1944-D Jefferson 5c MS-66 full steps PCGS. Only a tic on Jefferson's coat keeps this coin from a 67 grade. The coin is otherwise immaculate and thick-skinned original. The coin is pure, dusky white and radiant with luster. The steps are 6-6-6-6 and all details are quite full with an evidently early die state strike. The die on the reverse of this piece must have cracked while hardening, as there is a die crack that heads straight north from the top of pillar 3. I have another very fresh 1944-D specimen that is the sister to this piece, as evidenced by the same crack! This is a superb piece and readily affordable for such quality. $60

1478764-1944-DJeff5cMS66fsPCGS.jpg

1944-D Jefferson 5c MS-67 'star' NGC. This coin is simply ALIVE in the palm of one's hand! The colors are light and original, and the luster simply beams through! The NGC * designation is quite fit for this coin and it is quite a bit showier in-hand than in my lousy scan. Details are terrific, but the steps are not full, with a hit beneath pillar 1. Nonetheless, this is a coin fit for a top collection and one for the wartime silver "nickel" enthusiast. Collectors who seek the finest in this series will not be disappointed. $275

1478766-1944-DJeff5cMS67starNGC04-838.jpg

1944-P Jefferson 5c MS-66 PCGS. Darn near 5 full steps, this is a very lively coin that boasts greens, golds, and pinks over the natural silver coloration of superb surfaces. This coin is very fetching and much prittier in-hand and when rotated under light. This piece deserves a " * " in my book and has been a long-time favorite of mine. A fabulously affordable piece for a very tough date/mint in the series, for those who love the excellent natural colors that the wartime Jeffs could take on. $125

1478767-1944-PJeff5cMS66PCGS03-136.jpg

1944-S Jefferson 5c MS-66 PCGS. A perfect match for the superbly colored 1944-P that I have for sale right now, the colors on this coin are superb and finely detailed. Rotated under light, this coin is very showy, with tight bands of color outlining a very lustrous center. Details are quite good, superb on the obverse, and nearly 5 full steps on Monticello. This is a highly affordable high-grade piece that will please anyone who values the very best in this series. $70

1478768-1944-SJeff5cMS66PCGS04-745.jpg

1944-S Jefferson 5c MS-67 NGC. This is another coin that simply speaks volumes about itself. The coin is absolutely satiny in texture, perfect in surfaces, and wonderfully, beautifully patinated. The golden center is finely rimmed with a brightorange-gold at the rims - truly spectacular. Details are amazing, with only the characteristic weakness found under pillar 2 of Monticello. This is a coin for the finest collection. $90

1478769-1944-SJeff5cMS67NGC04-850.jpg

1961 Jefferson 5c MS-67 NGC. Jefferson nickels of the early 1960s are horrible looking, right? With a few exceptions, such as this coin. The only "deficits" of remark on this coin come from a slightly incomplete strike on Jefferson's jaw and the steps of Monticello, both the high points in the relief of the coin. Some annealing marks are present on the jaw and the steps are about 3-3-2-2. The rest of the coin is magnificent for a nickel out of the early '60s and struck from fresh dies. Devices are crisp and overall very full. The patina is thick on this coin and somewhat subdues the luster, but the coin is beyond-a-doubt, a conditional rarity among Jefferson nickels. $220

1478770-1961Jeff5cMS67NGC06-020.jpg