• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Busted Box , 20 th Anniversary ASE

2 posts in this topic

I understand the need for the thorough rule of not giving 20th Anniversary designations to sets from opened US Mint shipping boxes ( except for the reverse proofs) .

I have a problem . I ordered two sets and they were sent together in one box through DHL to my home. Upon receipt , I broke the tape seal and checked to ensure the contents were intact as I normally do with anything from the Mint confused-smiley-013.gif .

I logged on to the Collectors-society website and found the special instructions about submitting the 20th Anniversary sets and realized that now , due to the opened shipping box makepoint.gif , these two sets are no longer qualified frown.gif .

1) In order to get them designated as 20th anniversary set coins , what are my options ?

Are They :

A) I understand that at a minimum , I could have each of the reverse proofs designated in a special holder , but what about the remaining four coins? Are they only to qualify for the regular holders now ?

B) Could I still have them (each set) placed in a multi-holder along with each designated reverse proof?

I have already ordered an additional two sets to replace these foreheadslap.gif that I will be sending in their intact Mint shipping box , so the basic real economic question is would it be worth the trouble to have these four extra coins graded to be encapsulated , but not designated, along with the two loose reverse proofs in a multi holder ? If they will not be holdered along with the each of the two reverse proofs due to designation issues , I will just send the two reverse proofs in individually and have each of them holdered alone- along with the intact mint shipping box with the two replacement sets ....all within a larger box with the invoice inside . Hope this was not too confusing. Thanks , John

• Administrator

Hi John:

Thanks for your question.

Here’s the crux of the issue: The regular proof and 2006-W Uncirculated coin are available for purchase from the US Mint either singly or in other sets. Intact packaging is required to determine conclusively that these coins did, in fact, come from 20th Anniversary Sets.

Without packaging, the only coin that we can always verify has come from the 20th Anniversary Eagle silver set is the Reverse Proof. The Reverse Proof will always receive the 20th Anniversary label. From open packaging, the other coins will be encapsulated using a regular NGC label without 20th Anniversary designation.

You can have these coins placed together in a Multi-Coin Holder, however, the set will receive a regular NGC label.

For complete submission instructions for these coins, please visit:

Special Instructions for Submitting 20th Anniversary Eagles to NGC