• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Ever Tried to Tell U.S. History Through Coins?

19 posts in this topic

Some of you may be familiar with my timeline that I posted a few weeks ago that puts all the different designs of all the different coins in the US since 1793. I'm still working on expanding it for presidents, mint directors, legislation, etc.

In a small way, that's what I mean by the title of this post. But, more generally and on a larger scale, has anyone ever tried to put together a display on the size of several tables that chronicles what you can learn of US history through the coins? Small examples would be the increase on gold being mined leading to the opening of the three Southern mints, or the price of silver going up and the subsequent deletion of it from circulating coins, or even the Great Depression and how Peace Dollars weren't minted from 1929-1933 because of that.

I think it'll be my eventual goal to do that, but I have a loooooooooooong way to go and learn (and buy). I think that, among other things, it would involve compiling a very extensive type set, though ideally it would be more extensive than a "simple" type set. I think it would be a great visual way to teach American history, which is usually taught from a boring book. It could be like a display that you could bring to a school library and talk for a class period to the "interested" students.

So, if you've made it through my ramblings ... has anyone ever tried to do this? Or seen it done?

I did an exhibit on the Battle of Gettysburg with coins! I had an 1863 IHC, the 1995 Civil War silver dollar (because of Col. Chamberlain) and some Civil War Tokens. Obviously, a Gettysburg half would complete the set, but I haven't got one. Yet. smile.gif

-Amanda

I've mapped out what you are writing previously but have never put together a physical display of the coins. Obviously, I believe it is a very cool idea.

Yes, to a small extent, Don Taxay has done this in U.S. Mint and coinage. It's not an inclusive American history, but there's a lot about U.S. history to be learned in that text.

Roger Burdette has done this to a more detailed extent in his Rennaisance of American coinage books for the period of the early 20th Century they cover. Tons of good historical information there.

Dave Bowers' collected works are an American history through coinage and coin-related matters. His volumes speak volumes about U.S. history stretching back to early Colonial times. Superb and invaluable.

Walter Breen's Encyclopedias also relate some of the travails of American history as related to coinage. For all of his conjectures and inaccuracies, his contributions to numismatic scholarship are undeniably great.

In the best of my own writing for Coin Values and Coin World, I've tried to tie in as much history of the time as possible, and have attempted to relate history to its influence on coinage and the people responsible for making it.

History and the travails of human civilization, events, mythology, and time, are what make numismatics interesting and a much deeper study than coins and collecting. I believe that we often confuse coin collecting with numismatics, and although one is a tiny subset of the other, they remain distinct in their philosophical realizations.

Hoot

Roger Burdette has done this to a more detailed extent in his Rennaisance of American coinage books for the period of the early 20th Century they cover. Tons of good historical information there.

Drat... I was going to mention Roger Burdette. In fact, Roger and I work for the same company, three floors apart and for different clients. I've had a chance to talk with him. He's very interesting and I love his first two books. I can't wait for the third!

Scott hi.gif

Scott,

Thanks for the kind words. The 3rd book won't be out for about a year. Just uncovered a bunch of new stuff about the Pan-Pac coins and Farran Zerbe that I have to dig through.

Thanks, Amanda. You response just gave me a great idea.

I think I may try to put together a Civil War series of coins/tockens and have them graded and encapsulated in a multi-coin holder.

Glad I could help! grin.gif

And I agree about Mr. Burdette's books, a lot of great history! smile.gif

-Amanda

In my history class, we are studying US History, around the Civil war era. Whenever we cover a new topic, I always think of the coins of the time, or some neat coin I can bring in to share from that time period. It's also a great way to remember things for tests... "Oh yeah, that was the event with the indian cent!" or something like that.

I sure hope that you get that Gettysburg commem, Amanda!

Agree with that. You deserve it thumbsup2.gif

Thanks! smile.gif

I'm working on it! grin.gif

-Amanda

Amanda,

Here's one that may go cheap. I doubt that it would grade but it looks to have good eye-appeal if you want one raw.

Gettysburg Commemorative

I've done a presentation on the history of "In God We Trust" on US coins for a ladies group. A friend and I are planning on doing a coin talk related to a history class at a local school. We will do something around the turn of the 20th century and the changes that took place in American coinage 100 years ago. I'd like to do more of this for groups in the future.

Amanda,

Here's one that may go cheap. I doubt that it would grade but it looks to have good eye-appeal if you want one raw.

Gettysburg Commemorative

Thanks for the link! This is one coin that I am not wanting to buy over the internet, though. I need to see it 'in hand.' smile.gif

But thanks for thinking of me. smile.gif

-Amanda

I have been trying to complete a Civil War and Reconstruction Era Signature Set. This has been a long process, but I lack only (1) silver coin and (4) gold coins to complete the set. The $3, $10 and $20, T-1 are show stoppers in AU grades though, because of their scarcity and cost. However, I am having fun with attempting to assemble this set and hope that I survive long enough to complete it.

I made a coin exhibit for the FUN show in 2003 and 04. It was titled, proof coinage of the 1940's. I covered a bit of history from 1940, 41 and 42 using pictures of major events from each year. The first time, it was in just 1 case. The second time, I used more pictures and 2 cases. I found an old picture of my first exhibit. The second one looked much better with a plain blue background.

1486894-1940%5C%27sProofa.JPG

589a919f42156_1486894-1940sProofa.JPG.72a4bdb6ead5f149384a0c47ffd9ecd7.JPG