• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is this Israel AGAM gold sate medal worth?

5 posts in this topic

. *~*~*~PICTURE BELOW OF ACTUAL MEDAL I AM TALKING ABOUT~*~*~*~

I recently acquired a Yaacov Agam, "And then there was light", Gold state medal. Through researching I found out that this 38mm size was minted in 1985 by the Israel State government and the total mintage was 1615.

But, however I couldnt find another one so that I could find out value. I was told that the issue price was $540.00. Thinking that an expert in Israel coins would try to help me, he could only give me the mintage and the year is was minted. He could not tell me, nor would he tell me what this medal is worth. He kindly offered me $350.00 for it, but since I paid $450.00 for it and collect Agam's work, I gracefully declined his offer. The dealer also told me that these are rare and when he finds them, he scoops them up fast.

I am not looking to sell it, but I am just looking to an honest opinion on what this medal is currently worth. Also, if anyone could tell me why this medal was minted, that would be great. That dealer couldnt tell me why and not even the Israel government would reply to my emails. So, I have turned to this forum, hoping that someone would know any value.

As I was searching on the NGC website, I noticed that they grade coins, but couldnt figure out if they would accept this one for grading. Do any of you, have any, ideas? Thank you very much for your time. Any information, other than what I already know about this medal would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time dealing with any Gold medal/coin, so I am very NEW at this whole process......Kindly,Storm S.

206120-Mvc-040s.jpg.b9d411ad6c806fff05e77802291da7e2.jpg

Value would depend on demand. It would be worth at least the value of its gold content. My guess would be that 10% more than that would likely be the most it would ever be worth.

Link to Yaacov Agam information.

http://www.agam.net/

The medal is worth melt value only. Collectors for Israeli medals are rare indeed. $350 is pretty much spot gold value and is a fair offer. Ebay would be the next venue to use, but again, you will not receive much over spot gold.

TRUTH

Storm,

I think that it is great whenever your different areas of interests cross paths. In this case you like Agam's art and at the same time you collect coins and because of this, the piece becomes extra special to you. It may not have the same significance to many which becomes both a plus and minus for you in terms of the price that it goes for. I have seen other gold issues from Israel featuring art from Dali and Chagall and I think they are great. I know of some folks who just had to have the 2002 France Tour de France commemorative coin because besides being coin collectors, they are bike enthusiasts. For me, it was the Jamaica $100 1995 Bob Marley gold coin because I like Bob Marley's music and I am a gold coin collector (3 strikes). Enjoy your great find and don't worry too much about the price cause even if it sells at a higher premium, you probably wouldn't sell it anyway. cool.gif

I have collected medals on and off for many years. While I admit knowing little about Israel medals I doubt if your medal would bring much more than melt. Many medal collectors don't really want to tie up a lot of money in medals because they are strictly a collector item and not an investment. It has been my experience that the dealers in the field don't buy unless they can steal if you know what I mean! Your medal is only worth what the market will pay for it at any given point in time. Your cost is of no interest to the potential buyers.