• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Little Tidbit that hit my set today.

8 posts in this topic

Holy smokes Ken, that is one great looking coin. I have just the album for it! smile.gif

Hoot

Thanks Hoot.

I just noticed that the date does not show real well in the picture. The coin is a 1918D which is very tough in FB's. This one is about 70% split and more than likely is the closest I will ever get to a FB coin. Outside of the middle band this coin is really hammered out.

Ken

Very pretty coin, and goes to show that sometimes those strike designators aren't everything.

This coin is proof of the folly of chasing these designations.

Absolutely wonderful Fairlaneman! Nice color, strike, luster...perfect. What does it grade? If it's a 65 it probably didn't cost you more that about $1100 or so. That sure the hell is better than paying $25,000 for a little bit more metal in those center bands.

When you really break these things down into dollars you can somewhat see how ridiculous these designations really are.

jom

Thanks Guys.

I totally agree with you on that middle band that people pay big sums of money for. A coin like this one suits me just fine. Maybe if I was loaded with bucks a different opinion would be had but for some reason I do not think so. Many of the higher grade FB coins I have seen just do nothing for me as usually there is some other problem, weak obverse strike and/or ugly tone. Give me a cool looking 64 or 65 coin like this any day. This one is a 65.

Thanks to the folks at David Lawrence Rare Coin this coins cost was way below the price Jom stated. Man I hate it when they force me to pay a sane price for a coin. This is the second or third early date they have did this to me on. The 19S that came from them is about a 70% full band coin also.

Take Care.

Ken

Maybe if I was loaded with bucks a different opinion would be had but for some reason I do not think so

If you were "loaded" I suspect you would be savy enough to know not to pay $25,000 for what is essentially a $1000 coin.

laugh.gif

I did own a FB 18-D at one time. I picked out a real nice 63FB coin from a dealer at a Long Beach show in the late 90s. About a year later I had the coin regraded to 64FB and made some dough on it. I thought it was a "shot" 65FB but given the jump in priced I'd probably would have had to keep resending it to PCGS until I "bought" the grade. 27_laughing.gif I just don't play the slab game so I just took my 3 to 4 X profit and moved on.

jom

Man I hate it when they force me to pay a sane price for a coin.

Boy I hate that too. Makes me mad as hell when I simply can't pass a coin that is reasonably priced. Those dealers do me more harm than any others! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

wink.gifHoot

p.s. David Lawrence has done this to me once or twice, but not all of their coins are bargains.