• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabs and rim visibility

12 posts in this topic

If I wanted to certify and slab a coin but needed the rim to be visible, what are the best options? From what I've seen, the NGC multi-coin holder and the PCGS / ICG individual coin holders may allow you to see the rim but I'm not sure how legible the text would be. Which ones, if any, give good enough visibility to read text on the rim?

What kind of coin do you have that is completely necessary to see the rim? The slab looks kind of awkward when you have it especially to see the rim. I'd personally just go for the normal slab.

There's text on the rim I'd like to be able to see.

What do you mean the slab looks kind of awkward? Does anyone have a pic showing what the slab looks like?

Let me see if I can find a picture...
That does look a little odd. I wonder if it's possible to make an individual holder with a clear core, similar to their multi ones:

ph4-Coin-Multi.jpg

Perhaps the material "suspending" the coin interferes with rim visibility?

If the coin is not an exceedingly rare one, I'd say that you just buy two of them, have one slabbed, and use the other for reference. Or have someone take high resolution photos of the text before you have the coin slabbed.

I just called NGC and was told the rim visibility holder isn't available yet and that there's no information on when it might be available at this time.

The rim visibility holder is available but only for certain edge lettered coins. Personally, I think they look very cool and haven't seen any evidence they don't hold the coins securely.

1511784-EdgeVisibleHolder.JPG

cloud9.gif

Beijim

1511784-EdgeVisibleHolder.JPG.21bf124cf6b6ad36fb31393c1364735a.JPG