• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Single or Multi-coin slabs

14 posts in this topic

If you have a set of coins that can be arranged to go together in a multi-coin holder, would you do that or would you stay with individual slabs? Any particular reasons for going one way or the other orther than being easier to sell one by one with individuals?

Also, when you are acquiring slabbed coins, do you have a preference one way or the other?

It depends on the coins for me. If I had a PF70 proof set all in single cases that I wanted in one lens, then I might go that route. But unless I have some specific reason for using the multiholder, I'd use the single cases. Again, depending on the coins, it may or may not be easier to sell them.

I also think multi-holder sets bring less when you sell them. At the same time I think multi-holders are better for enjoyment of type sets. I see it as a trade off between collector enjoyment and price when selling. If I don't anticipate selling the coins for a while and want to see those particular types together, I may end up with a multi-holder. I'll admit it is a tough call, especially if one or two of the coins are worth more than the others or the coins have different grades.

I'm with LuvToCollect and zoins, both of whom make excellent points. I enjoy the multiholder presentation and space economy but have definitely seen the single holdered coins bring more money in the aggregate when sold.

Beijim

I am using Multi Coin Holders for my PROOF set collection

Also I have already posted my SPECIALTY Multi Coin Holders - I will post them here again for you to see the types that you can do

1525649-1.jpg

1525649-2.jpg

1525649-3.jpg

On the downside - the multi coin holders scratch easily so keep the packing material they send with them - PLastic baggie AND Cardboard spacer plates

1525649-3.jpg.c6c5112aa6e4e248e8121f1020dcac4e.jpg

If you have a set of coins that can be arranged to go together in a multi-coin holder, would you do that or would you stay with individual slabs? Any particular reasons for going one way or the other orther than being easier to sell one by one with individuals?

Also, when you are acquiring slabbed coins, do you have a preference one way or the other?

I agrre Zoins from what I"ve seen in the last month on Ebay, Teletrade and at Heritage the individual coins from the 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle set do sell for more individually. No matter which way you got them slabbed initially you could always send them in to be re-holdered the opposite way. Of course you would have to be certain they were graded accurately the first time and then be graded the second time as the same grade or better.

There was also an article in one of the last greysheets about cracking the slabs and sending the coins in raw. It seems some people are having success getting their coins upgraded by doing that instead of trying for an upgrade in the holder.

Joe

jgrinz, Nice sets! Did you send them in the first time to be multi-holdered and were fortunate for these sets to grade as well and consistantly as they did? One of my worries on requesting a muti-holder is that one or more of the coins would be way off grade from the others.

All three sets were Reholdered already graded coins ... to make sure the set was as I wanted.

My Proof Sets that I started are what they are - Removed from Original packaging and set in and Multiholdered what they were.

Mike

Like MunkeyMan95 said: "It depends on the coins for me."

I just sent in coins to be graded, and, put in the multi-coin holders. One set consisted on Australian Cents (one original, and, two "commemoratives") while the other set consisted of three coins that had Mozart on the obverse (one shilling and two euro's.)

In short, I deceded on the multi-coin holder because I want each holder "to tell a story."

One theme is the Australian cent, and, the other theme is Mozart in coinage (1991 and 2006).

No matter which way you got them slabbed initially you could always send them in to be re-holdered the opposite way. Of course you would have to be certain they were graded accurately the first time and then be graded the second time as the same grade or better.

Sending coins for reholder does not involve regrading. It merely involves a $5.00 fee per coin to be repackaged, regardless of whether the reholdering involves single or multicoin holders. In other words, Output Grade = Input Grade.

Beijim

My only gripe with multi-coin holders is that if you want to make sure you have certain grades, then you must submit them, get the singles back, then re-submit for multi-coin slab.

That's what I had to do with my Franklins. I think I will stick to single slabs for a while, but I do like my Franklins...

4Franklin1.jpg

4Franklin2.jpg