• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"American Historic Society - Free Silver Eagle - what's the catch?

11 posts in this topic

So I was about to throw out the junk mail today when I came across an ad from the American Historic Society offering to sell me a free 2006 SAE (pay only $4.95 processing and handling) which they amusingly described as a $50 value. Well, $5 for an ounce of silver is a good deal no matter which way you look at it and I'm considering calling them.

Anybody know what's the catch with this company? Am I selling my soul to telemarketers? Will they empty my checking account? Hurry! I must act now to take advantage of this special offer!!! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gifstooges.gif

Right from their About Us page: We Are National Consumer Marketing (NCM)

From their web site, it looks like TV advertised and direct mail 893censored-thumb.gif that we're warned to stay away from. When my brother ordered one that was similarly offered, the coin he received was eventually body bagged by NGC for being cleaned. When I asked someone from NGC at a show (because I couldn't see it), I was told that they used Tarn-X or something similarly caustic to clean the coin before inserting it into their holder. The first evidence are the rounded edges on the relief structures.

I would abide by the old adage: If it is too good to be true, it probably is!

Caveat emptor!

Scott hi.gif

This ad doesn't rip you for shipping according to the paper. It's a free coin plus $4.95. I think their gimmick is that they sell your info and you get hassled by telemarketers.

What was disappointing about the Littleton ad was that once you called, they lead you on to believe that you would get the free coin, and after they had everything taken into the system, there was a comment as 'Oh, by the way... It's $25 for shipping! Tanks, Bye!'

What was disappointing about the Littleton ad was that once you called, they lead you on to believe that you would get the free coin, and after they had everything taken into the system, there was a comment as 'Oh, by the way... It's $25 for shipping! Tanks, Bye!'

foreheadslap.gif

mad.gif

My grandpa actually did it...and here is the catch:

They sell you the first one for $5. They give you a second one for $5. They send you a third one for "review" for free. If you don't send it back in two weeks, they charge you $50 for it.

We sent the last one back, and I got 2 silver eagles for $10!

My grandpa actually did it...and here is the catch:

They sell you the first one for $5. They give you a second one for $5. They send you a third one for "review" for free. If you don't send it back in two weeks, they charge you $50 for it.

We sent the last one back, and I got 2 silver eagles for $10!

I've had that happen, too! Out of the blue, possibly related to other dealing with them, Littleton sends me 2 BU sae's. That's really nice of them, I think! Apparently I missed the return slip/bill mixed in with all the bogus advertisements, so in about 3 weeks I get a bill. 'Huh?' I sent the coins back. I get another bill about 3 weeks after I send them. And another about 2 weeks after that. Now, they send me 1 more SAE for review, apparently they got my other SAE's back. I decide, 'If they just try to bill me after I send the coins back, why return these?' So I kept them. Haven't heard from them since. Boy, do I hate Littleton...