• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for 1995 China 1oz Silver Unicorn

5 posts in this topic

Thanks. I actually requested the seller put that up after finding it unsold on eBay Singapore via Google. Other than that, I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Just thought I should let everyone know I got the coin from hangzhouhuayinshoucangpin on eBay, shipped from Shanghai. Very smooth transaction. It has a mintage of 4004 so it's not ultra low but not ultra high either. I haven't seen it on eBay since. I think it's hard to find because of the series mintages and that it has a mother and baby unicorn together which non-collectors may like. Here are some series mintage numbers I've found for the 1oz silvers:

1994 PF 4,403 actual

1994 BU 50,000 limit

1995 PF 4,004 actual

1996 PF 8,000 actual

1997 PF 8,000 actual

1997 BU n/a (a lot?)

The BU versions exist for 1994 and 1997 with high mintages. The PF versions have a (P) for these years. However, since the BU versions have a prooflike finish, I'm guessing there's less demand for the 1994 and 1997 proofs. Adding the mintages together you get something like the following (assuming 50K for BU '94 and '97):

1994 54,403* (guess)

1995 4,004

1996 8,000

1997 58,000* (guess)

The interesting thing is that the 1995 / 1996 coins don't come with (P) b/c only proof edition exist so they actually look better when paired with the BU prooflike 1994 / 1997 versions.

Board Dwellers take note;

I have been working in China for the past four years and my family and I currently live in Shanghai. We expect to be here a few more years before returning to Arizona.

There is a great area of the city that houses about 200 small coin / currency / stamps / phone card retail stalls within one large building. Its like a permanent FUN show. It’s a great place to walk around and window shop on a Sunday afternoon. I will post some pictures later this month, you will be amazed at the size of the place.

If there is anything in particular that you can't find on the auction sites, or if you have any trouble with a local China dealer, I would be happy to check it out for you (as time permits).

I don't really collect Chinese coins (only a few of the early gold) and I just sent my few silver Panda's off to Heritage as part of a larger group for sale in the FUN show, but I do know what is genuine and what is not when it comes to the modern Chinese coins (1980 and up).

I am happy to help, it would be fun, but please if you send in a request take in to consideration that I am quite busy here and travel a lot within China, so please don't ask anything with a tight time requirement, I would expect it might take 2 -3 weeks for a response on most things.

Thanks

Jim