• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"HOLDER" REVEALED! AT vs. NT: darkside coin, but you should take a look anyhow

9 posts in this topic

Looks like the restike......

Heck I AT'd one of these myself but frankly if it was kept in some sort of envelope etc...It could have toned that way over time....so.....it could be AT or NT but the colors don't really scream either way. I'll go with NT just becuase the toning is darker at the rims and lighter in the center like it spent time in an album. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sorry James, but this holder doesn't prove much. Read up on the "Peacock" dollars which were "originally" sold in a similar type holder.

TRUTH

Hi Truth. I know what you're saying, but I can't imagine a conspiracy with sinister motives to dupe collectors out of their hard-earned money through the promotion of Maria Theresa thalers 27_laughing.gif! I could be wrong though. But I do think this coin really did tone in this holder as shown without interference from a coin doctor, or anyone with pernicious intent (which doesn't make it any more NT or valuable, of course).

By the way, the holder is fairly well sealed, but not airtight.

One thing that is annoying about this particular holder is that the hole is actually too large in diameter for the coin. I know that these were struck open-collar, thus resulting in variable diameters, and that the hole had to be cut out a bit larger than necessary to accommodate oversized pieces, but it does allow the coin to rattle around a lot more than I would like. But I think that the fact that there's extra room between the coin and the cardboard could have some bearing on the toning pattern, which is a little different than usual. Also, we don't know what kind of environment the holder was stored in (and the seller didn't know either).