• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New coin chest

15 posts in this topic

Last Feb. I posted about a coin chest I built with a piece of walnut I got for my birthday. Well Fathers day brouht another piece of walnut so another chest was needed ,so another chest was built. Just thought I would share with you my results. This coin chest is larger than the last one. my first attempt had nine draws which filled up pretty quick. this chest has twelve draws in it. I have room for expansion with this one. Each draw hold 8 to 10 certified coin depending on the type. PLease let me know what you think. Thanks

589a8af7c4272_204928-newchest(1).jpg.4fe42bfc5fbcaf19848e92845e39b081.jpg

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had the privelage of seeing the first one, and let me say Toneddollars did a TREMENDOUS job with these. They are fantasic for displaying/storing coins. I love the presentation they offer.

Again, great job! smile.gif

Jack:

Real Nice!!!!!!! Good move on the expansion capibilities. Those Toned Dollars have a way of adding up, As you well know.

Very nice coin chest toneddollars! What did you use for the inserts that the slabs go into? It looks like they were professionally made.

John

Excellent work!! acclaim.gif

I've been considering building a "box" to store my rolls in. They are in round plastic tubes. One of my concerns has been which wood to use so that vapors from the wood do not affect the coins over long term. Also wondering about what type of wood finish would be safe?

Thanks all, I will share with anyone the facts on building one or will talk to anyone about cost for building one for you. Just send a PM.

Wihlborg-- yes the inserts are made by airtite. They use them in their cherry cases. As a matter of fact the cabinet was designed around the inserts. I made the draws to fit the inserts and the chest to fit the draws.

JD-- Walnut and mahogony are the two best woods to use. Most old time coin chests were made from walnut. The finish is a product called varathane it is waterbourne and finishes to a diamond hard finish. Research and a long talk with my friend who is a cabinet maker led me to this product.

Very nice! Jack, you are a true "meister": master craftsman! It's hard to beat walnut when it comes to beauty. Does it emit a purple hue? Can't tell on photo. I've often used "Varathane" with excellent results. Well, thanks for sharing. Very impressive!

I complimented you on your previous effort, and you graciously shared info regarding its construction and the custom drawer fittings. So let me again say bravo to a (second) job well done!

Regards,

Beijim

wow

it just goes to show you when you do something yourself it is as good as a job if not better then any professional name cabinet maker

and in this case turned out well......... fantastic

i am sure you could get many orders if you so desired at any price

sincerely michael

this is definately 5 stars

why cant lots of other threads/posts

have some coin class and true numismatic information/collecting as this post??

instead of lots of narishkite 893naughty-thumb.gif threads??

sincerely michael

Thank you Michael for the kind words. I've wondered why when you post a thread like this sometimes it gets so little attention. while other threads seem to take on a life of their own.