• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New coin....AT vs. NT opinions welcome

37 posts in this topic

This is the first coin I have purchased in quite some time. Most of you know that due to personal issues I have had to sell off my toned coin collection, so my purchases for the next year or two will be small and very infriquent....but I want to stay somewhat involved as I still have a passion for coins. cloud9.gif

Now on to this coin....

I saw it, I liked it.....and for $30 bucks I thought what the heck. Now purchasing any coin in a PCI holder typically send up warning flares in my mind....Gold Labels especially.........but I bought it anyway because I really liked it. I really don't know if it's AT or NT to be quite honest and I really didn't care when I bought it but......I am curious about the boards opinion on this one? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is this an MS70 special.......did this one get cleaned and retoned this way? I promise I will not be offended if the concensus is AT.....I went into this purchase with my eyes wide open thumbsup2.gif

Also what are your grade opinions.....it certainly looks better then a 65 to me......in a PCI holder.....nah couldn't be the real deal could it 27_laughing.gif

eg12o.jpg

eg12r.jpg

FYI- I do not have this coin in hand so I am making a guestimate based on the images the seller provided. thumbsup2.gif

I like it alot very nice for 30 bux I would have grabbed it to!! not sure on th at or nt issue tho i am still learning about toning sry I couldn't help on that part but very nice anyway!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Shane with the bright red around Lincoln's head it looks like a martyr's hagiagrophy. The mottled blue and red around the rim of the reverse makes me suspect that it might be AT but I do not have enough experience to make that determination. I'll let other's weigh in with their seasoned opinions. As to eye appeal I think it is a cool coin and for the price you paid, I would add it to my collection too.

This coin looks remarkable simliar to one of the coins I posted in my MS70 demonstration a few months ago. Therefore, I would suspect AT. However, at 30 bucks, it's a no-brainer! In fact, I just picked up a pair of 1909-VDB coins for $65, and they are simply RB coins!

1431208-toningcolorspectrum.jpg

eg12o.jpg

Since there is no green transition color from red to blue then I would say that it is AT. But, who cares! It is a beautiful, historical coin at the right price.

cloud9.gif

AT or NT is a mute point.For $30.00 it is a very nice coin. Personally the coin to me is AT and the toning is not something I would chase. The reverse kills it for me, but overall nice coin. Congrats.

Undeniable MS70.
I would sure hesitate to argue with such an assessment from Greg on that particular topic. hail.gif

Edited to add: I thought the coin was AT (or artificially colored) before I saw Greg's post. However, he confirmed my thoughts, even though I wouldn't have been so certain as to have used the word "undeniable".

Undeniable MS70.

Yeah that pretty much ends any debate there. I’ll say MS70 as well wink.gif

As a side note, we should remember that we don’t always have to agree to learn from one another. Greg, has posted many interesting tidbits but then personal arguments ensue and the original context and topic are lost. I would have liked to have heard more about some of those topics that were lost.

As a side note, we should remember that we don’t always have to agree to learn from one another
I agree. Greg and I have some major differences, but I do feel that I can learn from him.

Shane, I like the coin either way. AT, it's great! NT, that's awesome too! Glad to see things are starting to turn towards the better. Hope to see more purchases from you in the future! thumbsup2.gif

I've had Lincolns (accidently) go through the laundry that looked like that.

Possibly there is MS70 properties in my Tide detergent?

Maybe that'll be a chapter in TRUTH'S up and coming book!

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks all.......I was pretty sure that if it was indeed AT......it was cleaned with MS70.......the recent discussions on the subject make that the overwhelming choice. Now......does it get holdered by NGC or PCGS...... 893whatthe.gif

I think I am the only person who believes this piece has negative eye appeal.

I can certainly understand where you are coming from.....I am a tone lover at heart and I just like the red highlights and how they contrast with the blue.......I am very happy to pay $30 for the coin but I would say that you would probably be within the Majority on the other forums as far as not liking the piece. thumbsup2.gif

To me this type of coins is purely a whimsical purchase of either liking it or passing. I can see where someone would love to have a couple of these in their possession for the sake of novelty. Or, if one has done their own MS70 experimentation, to use as future reference in helping to determine AT from NT. This one is for the pure enjoyment of the owner, not one for high investment return....although you never know on ebay crazy.giflaugh.gif

No you're not. I just wasn't going to say anything.

But as long as Kryptonitecomics is happy with his purchase...cloud9.gif

-Amanda

Folks should always speak freely with regards to my coins......I post them out here for opinions and I am quite sure that not everyone has the same taste in coins as I do..... yay.gif

Now.....how would you grade it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I am reminded by the old addage.......No matter how good a woman looks just remember that somewhere out there, someome is tired of putting up with her.If you like the coin and paid what you felt was a fair price, it was a good buy.

There he is! There’s the Tom that I know and love. wink.gif

Seek help, winston.

As for TJ's Coins:

"with the bright red around Lincoln's head it looks like a martyr's hagiagrophy"

There is entirely too much irony in that statement for you to get away with it. 893whatthe.gif You may have to answer to Abe, himself. flamed.gif

Shane - The coin will look great in an album! it may even change color! smile.gif

Hoot

As for TJ's Coins:

"with the bright red around Lincoln's head it looks like a martyr's hagiagrophy"

There is entirely too much irony in that statement for you to get away with it. You may have to answer to Abe, himself.

That's the whole point, Shane, I was waiting for someone to catch it. wink.gif

Well, I'll say that I really like the coin and I really like the colors - just not together. I find the combination of colorations of the reverse in particular quite aesthetically pleasing, but I do not like them on a coin. My first (amateur) guess was AT and I wouldn't buy the coin personally - unless it wasn't AT'd. Under the color, I think it's a stellar coin, though.

Whatever you like, collect it! Good for you, and I hope things are working out better in your neck of the woods. You seem to be continuing on a path of changing your lifestyle, which is something many try to do, and many succeed at for a time, but few are able to keep up. My prayers are with you and I hope that you continue to do well. I'm also glad you found a small way to continue to enjoy the hobby wink.gif

Folks should always speak freely with regards to my coins......I post them out here for opinions and I am quite sure that not everyone has the same taste in coins as I do..... yay.gif

Now.....how would you grade it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

PCI MS70 27_laughing.gif