• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picture help please…

35 posts in this topic

So I’m trying to use my new copystand. My pictures are better but still not where I want them to be. I’m using a little cannon powershot camera and GE reveal bulbs. I’m not sure why my silver coins are appearing gold. Does anyone have any advice? Do I need better bulbs? Do I need a better camera? Any thoughts/insight appreciated!

Thanks, Winston

leif1.jpg

I think it might be the bulbs. In certain rooms of my house, under different lights, the proof coins look a lot like that. I tend to like the color, but not for cameo blast white proof coins.

Nice image, by the way! thumbsup2.gif

I think I fixed the white balance although I may need more practice with it. I’m using the macro feature on my little camera – is that about as sharp as it’s gonna get? Any other helpful thoughts welcome

LeifIceland.jpg

Yes, the white balance is a lot better. As far as clarity goes, you could try messing with the camera's settings for aperture and shutter speed and ASA.

I use 200 ASA and the smallest aperture (5.8) I can get and I adjust the shutter speed with how the light is portaying the coin. A slower shutter speed will get a less grainy image.

Hope this helps rather than confuses. blush.gif

-Amanda

Edited to fix aperture mistake...

Is that the matching coin to the bronze one you showed earlier? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I repeat - such a 893censored-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif But, that's why I like you wink.gif

So do you have anything constructive to add? Do you think that’s as sharp as I can get w/o an SLR?

Seriously, one thing you may want to do is check that the plane of the coin and plane of the camera lens are level with one another. This will help maintain sharper focus.

Do you think that’s as sharp as I can get w/o an SLR?

I don't have an SLR, and experimenting with the settings I mentioned above could provide crisper results.

-Amanda

I dunno, Amanda, I have a DSLR and your photos are as good as mine! I stop down the aperture as far as it will go (f/36) and use a longer exposure (usually 1/6 - 1/15 sec). I think it brings out subtle colors better.

I dunno, Amanda, I have a DSLR and your photos are as good as mine! I stop down the aperture as far as it will go (f/36) and use a longer exposure (usually 1/6 - 1/15 sec). I think it brings out subtle colors better.

Thanks, Zach. smile.gif

36 is a pretty high aperture! On my digicam, I only have a choice between 5.6 and 2.8. (My post above is in error! blush.gif )

I think I am going to go experiment with exposure times, I usually use from 1/60 to 1/125.

-Amanda

The smallest aperature you can get (larger f number) will ensure that you get the largest depth of field possible. You need to balance that with the shutter speed (generally speeds upwards of 1/80 sec yield the best results) and the ISO or ASA (depending on film or digital cameras, the smaller the number the less 'grainy' the photo).

For my own photography, I try and keep it upwards of f/10, upwards of 1/80 sec, and ASA no more than 200.

My camera is on a sturdy tripod with the lower leg segments removed to make it short. It's on a desk near my computer. My personal problem is that my focus tends to be slightly soft, no matter what I do. I've come to the conclusion that it's a lens issue. I use a variable zoom lens and what I need to get sharper pics is probably a dedicated macro lens.

Here is the American coin if anyone was interested. I took it at the same time I took the Icelandic photos i.e. it is not my next attempt that will incorporate the suggestions that you all have given.

LeifAmerican.JPG

Amanda, that's only an issue when you rely on the camera's auto exposure calculator to determine the aperature and shutter speed. If you work with the camera in manual mode, you can shoot on any colored surface and while the surface might seem incorrectly exposed, the coin won't be. You'll be cropping out the coin anyway. Manual exposure gives you much more control of your results (and consistency). I usually let the camera do a read using auto exposure/speed to get a baseline, and then go manual and work out from the initial 'guess' made by the camera as to the correct settings.

I usally use a white napkin the color of the background really does not matter if you ask me. Its more the lighting if you ask me. Also know how to work with your camera makes a world of differnce.