• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2001 American Buffalo Dollar - will they hold their value?

8 posts in this topic

I've been surprised at the selling prices for the 2001 American Buffalo $1 coins. These coins were offered at $32/$37 and now seem to be commanding prices in the $200-$300 range per coin. Since the entire mintage of 500,000 coins was sold out I assume there's no shortage. What's going on here? Is there one organization (or a small group) that is holding the bulk of these coins (like the diamond industry)? I'm wondering if we're just seeing the effects of a temporary spike in demand and if anyone expects the current prices to be sustained.

This is the type of Coin that no one wants to part with. I think the Franklins will be the same way in time. sleeping.gif

Maybe the Continental Dollar reverse for the Franklin. Maybe not so much for the young scientist design.

The Marine corp commem is the one I expect to escalate in value because of all of the marine corp vets that won't let loose of them. I still have 10 unc, 10 proof and 5 coin/stamp sets. I reckon that I will hold onto them until they apprciate or I really need the cash. I just noticed last week, though, that their prices have dropped by 20%. frown.gif