• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Strikes

14 posts in this topic

I've been curious about NGC First Strikes. Have you been able to visually tell the difference between a "first strike" and non-first strike coin of the same grade? And would you pay more for a first strike coin?

I've read that the US Mint does not have a first strikes program and does not necessarily ship coins in the order they are produced. Are first strikes really first strikes or are they "first shipped"?

FIRST STRIKE IS FRAUD

Do a search on the subject and I'm sure you will come up with many threads about it. I would never pay more for it, and the only difference is the time of submission of the coin. Instead of FIRST STRIKES they should be named FIRST SUBMITTED.

The coins ard not any better than those in regular holders. I hear the TPG's were considering the First Strike designation. I Don't know if they will because they have made a lot of money off them, but I hope they would. hail.gif

I just read that 99,500 uncirculated gold buffalos were available in June and 117,500 in July. The US Mint page says, on average, each die set produces 6,000 of those coins. So that means about 16.6 die sets were used for the coins that were dated/shipped the first month. If that's true then only about 6% of the coins that were shipped/dated the first month are actually off the first die set. The rest are off the subsequent, rotating die sets, just like any of the (at least 4) following delivery months. That's assuming that only the coins dated/shipped the first month were produced in the first 30 days. Some estimates say the mint can make the entire mint run of some coins in 30 days making them all "first strikes." Furthermore, from July to October, 178,000 of these coins where shipped/dated which is an average of 29.7 die sets so in the subsequent months you can get coins off fresh dies almost 30 times.

If everyone knows it's a fraud and can't possibly indicate what the popular meaning is, does NGC and PCGS allow this because they can make a lot of extra money? I've read First Strikes are especially popular with telemarketers....

First Strikes are especially popular with eBayers... First strikes sometimes command many hundred dollars more than the same coin in a non-first strike holder. And of course the TPG's want to make money!

First Strikes are especially popular with eBayers... First strikes sometimes command many hundred dollars more than the same coin in a non-first strike holder. And of course the TPG's want to make money!

A fool and her money are soon courted. 27_laughing.gif

Scott hi.gif

Scott hi.gif

Scott, are you inferring that all women are fools? Hit him, Amanda!

Chris

What's bizarre about the whole issue is that often, it's later strikes that are actually better struck than the first struck coins. That's because the mint makes adjustments in the spacing of the dies during production, sometimes tightening them up if it is discovered that the coins are not being struck well enough.

Paying extra for something like a "first strike", even if it could be proven to be an early strike, seems the epitome of absurdity to me.

No... it's a quote from Helen Rowland from the1990s in response to how women with money are treated. It's a twist on the quote "A fool and his money are soon parted" but using the "courted" twist given the type of business that is generated on eBay.

I guess it might be too esoteric of a reference. frown.gif

Scott hi.gif

No... it's a quote from Helen Rowland from the1990s in response to how women with money are treated. It's a twist on the quote "A fool and his money are soon parted" but using the "courted" twist given the type of business that is generated on eBay.

I guess it might be too esoteric of a reference. frown.gif

Scott hi.gif

I was just having a little fun.

Chris