• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Variety 1883/2 Shield Nickel Discovered

17 posts in this topic

It was great to see IGWT post his new 1876 DDO shield nickel (especially the purple version <grin>). At the risk of shield nickel variety overkill in this forum, I feel compelled to make an announcement of a new 1883/2 shield nickel variety.

new83_2date.jpg

I confirmed the overdate with an overlay study.

I am probably the top collector of 1883/2 anywhere, and it's been a 20-year search on my part to try and find an 1883/2 variety of my very own. Naturally, I'm thrilled to have found this.

For more information on the other five 1883/2 varieties, see my web page at:

1883/2 Web Page

Now that one will get some press, Howard! It'll also give Hoot another reason to grab his metal detector and head outside. insane.gif

Shield Nickel collectors have organized a coup to take over the U.S Coin forum for the purpose of <gasp> talking about coins. gossip.gif

skippy----Since I am an old guy, I know how thrilled that you and Lou are at this time. So, I'll just say that I am pleased for both of you and offer my congratulations on your long hunting endeavor coming to a successful conclusion. As Patience surely deserves its rewards. Bob [supertooth]

Now that one will get some press, Howard! It'll also give Hoot another reason to grab his metal detector and head outside. insane.gif

yay.gif

Another nice find. thumbsup2.gif But don't you think that shield nickel variety hunters make strike attribution hunters from other series (like Jefferson nickel FS hunters) seem mild in their obsessions? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hoot insane.gif

yay.gif

Another nice find. thumbsup2.gif But don't you think that shield nickel variety hunters make strike attribution hunters from other series (like Jefferson nickel FS hunters) seem mild in their obsessions? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hoot insane.gif

Yes. But, then again, we're obsessive about something that matters. tongue.gif

yay.gif

Hoot insane.gif

Yes. But, then again, we're obsessive about something that matters. tongue.gif

Ooooh! That one hurt! makepoint.gif But I guess I don't understand what matters about finding mistakes in a type riddled with mistakes insane.gif vs. finding what should be on a coin? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

acclaim.gif Hoot smile.gif

angel.gif

hi.gif

Because the varieties reveal information about the minting process that perfect coins keep secret.

Now go count some steps, son, grin.gif and keep kidding yourself that they are a true sign of a fully struck coin. blush.gif

Because the varieties reveal information about the minting process that perfect coins keep secret.

Hogwash!

Now go count some steps, son, grin.gif and keep kidding yourself that they are a true sign of a fully struck coin. blush.gif

Now, this proves to me that you read none of my posts! (Don't worry, I wouldn't either. insane.gif)

Hoot

Now, this proves to me that you read none of my posts! (Don't worry, I wouldn't either. )

I read all of your posts, Hoot. It's just that I was running out of nasty things to say and had to tweak you somehow. I'm sorry. sorry.gif

Now, if you want to read some real hogwash, . . . oh, nevermind. Truce.

Hoot insane.gif

Mild? VAMmers pay big money for some varieties I have trouble seeing. Jeff FS hunters spend their time squinting trying to count the steps (ditto for Full Bell Lines and Split Bands).

Shield nickels have the twin virtues of being frequently obvious to the eye and inexpensive due to lack of demand.

I'm happy for collectors who ignore shield nickels. More for me.