• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you grade this 1893 proof Morgan?

12 posts in this topic

Here's a proof Morgan in an old rattler I picked up about 1990. The white flecks you see on the obverse and reverse fields (for example in front of Liberty's mouth or by the arrowheads) are an artifact from imaging, they do not exist in reality. There is a very fine scratch (?) across the ear (one dealer surprised me by saying it was from a staple), and on the reverse a small ding on the breast. Other than those two things it is very clean. As it really floats my boat I have no intention of selling it anytime soon, but I've got a variety of rattlers that I will eventually send in for regrading, and I'm on the border as to whether to do so with this one. What would you grade this proof? I'll post what it is currently graded sometime tomorrow afternoon/evening. Thank you for your thoughts.

Morgan93PR65.jpg

As difficult as it is to grade mint state coins accurately from images, it's usually impossible in the case of Proof examples. The main reason is that the grade of Proof coins is often determined/affected by the extent of the hairlines, which is rarely evident in even the best of images.

That said, from the images, it looks like a PR66 Cameo. If the contrast is greater in person it could even be a deep/ultra cameo. However, If there are hairlines which don't show up in the images, it could easily be graded between 1 and 3 points lower. No matter what, it's extremely appealing.

Corollary to Coin Forum Rule of Thumb 03. Just because someone asks for a grade for their coin, doesn't mean you have to answer them with a grade. Particularly if you can't accurately grade, or can't grade accurately from the photo.

Corollary to Coin Forum Rule of Thumb 03. Just because someone asks for a grade for their coin, doesn't mean you have to answer them with a grade. Particularly if you can't accurately grade, or can't grade accurately from the photo.

That bears repeating...