• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many people survived the Sanctuary Sale?

6 posts in this topic

I kept asking myself; why is it that the coins I'm not looking for, look like they're selling at a bargain, when, the coins I'm bidding for, become part of a fervent competitition.

I placed some bids with Bowers and Merena, and had the high bid on three coins by the time internet bidding was over. Then I found out that the Sancutary sale could be viewed LIVE on Ebay.

Had I not registered and done so, I would never have gotten those coins.

I was amazed at the aggressive bidding, honestly, to the point where I was totally surprised. Granted, when you really want something, it's kind of hard to draw the line...but you have to. It's just that as I kept going, that line was getting higher and higher to reach.

I guess, ultimately, the winning bid does go to the highest bidder. It's just...how high is it going to go?

There was little in the Sanctuary Sale that interested me . Besides, I'm broke.

Insane prices! If there are two rich dudes with the same interest in coins and they have no problem dropping 100 grand then us peons must wait until they have literally blown their wads and learn the hard way before we can sweep up.....until after the show is over, of course.

There's a big difference between 100 grand and 1 grand, for myself anyway. 27_laughing.gif

Leo

These aggressive bids may not be real money, but often these bids are more than I am willing to spend. So, real money or not, it's out of the bidding at that point.

Lately, my auction bidding average success, has dropped precariously from a fair amount won, to almost nothing won. I haven't changed a thing. Still bid about sheet, plus commissions. Just do not win much any more. I buy mostly MS64/65 Type and Generic gold at auctions.

These aggressive bids may not be real money, but often these bids are more than I am willing to spend. So, real money or not, it's out of the bidding at that point.

my point is that the other guy would win that piece at the next increment. instead, many monied bidders are only bidding against themselves as the house pushes them against phantom bids. auction prices for the more mundane, and sometimes the signature pieces, should be taken with a grain of salt. imho, there is a whole lot of shilling going on in this market!