• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you do when you can't find that coin to buy?

8 posts in this topic

How many times have you searched the internet to buy a coin but you just can't seemed to find the right coin. For myself, I haven't been buying much lately but took a gamble on a coin I bought on ebay for $10. A 1986-D FS Jefferson is not an easy coin to find in high grade and nice. This one is in a PCG$ holder and was graded MS64FS. I had sent the seller an email and didn't get a response until after the auction was over. All I had to go on was the description and the picture that was provided. I took the gamble and the coin turned out to be really nice for a MS64. I agree with the grade but the reverse is MS66-67 without a mark and the marks on the obverse are away from the focal areas, the profile and fields. The marks are very small and in the hair and down on the coat. The strike and luster are very bold and full. I wanted to add another FS 86-D to my collection and this will do it.

Now that that urge has passed, I can wait awhile for now but yet, for some reason, I want to find another. Anyone else get like that?

Leo

Yes, like all the time! acclaim.gif

I usually wait it out! Then when I finally find it, I generally don't have the money at that time and have to scrounge and sell off some stuff to pick it up!!!

Good post !

Leo, you bring up a very good point about collecting. I thought I had narrowed my collecting goals down, but instead, I find that there is just more and more.

Or, I'll search for a certain coin, and when I find it, and obtain it, suddenly, there's a whole new avenue of thinking open to me, which can only be fulfilled by buying another coin.

There's that proverbial saying that when you get what you want, you'll only want more.

I think it's the nature of the beast...

(I keep telling myself, it's time to stop buying, and just digest what it is that I've got)

(digest???? how about relaxing in appreciation?)

Mike

I usually wait it out! Then when I finally find it, I generally don't have the money at that time and have to scrounge and sell off some stuff to pick it up!!!

Good post !

Been there, done that, goose3

I know what you mean. The heck with the rent, I've got to have that coin attitude.

Especially if it's a coin that you've known about for 7-8 years and suddenly it's up for sale. In my case, it was a 6 step 1950-D. I knew there were only two certified and one of them showed up in a teletrade auction. $800 later, it's mine. I was bidding at all costs, no bars hold. That was an exciting moment, I gotta tell ya!

How many others wanted that coin, I'll never know.

Leo

I think it's the nature of the beast...

Mike

That's what it is, I like that! It's a ongoing battle, cherrypicking over the internet without paying the postman. Locating that other person who thinks like you, who can give it to you straight and be on the level at reasonable prices and there's no disappointment.

Leo

My attitude is to sit tight and save your money for when the right piece comes along. It will eventually unless you are searching junk silver bags for 1804 dollars. Going out a buyin the wrong coin to fill a hole in your collection will leave you unhappy in the long run.

I will wait, but sometimes I run 2-3-4 sets at once to mitigate the waiting somewhat. I have finally developed the self-discipline to not buy coins graded below my set standards. I used to try and match grade for all coins in sets, but that is a lost cause.

My downfall is Type Coins. I will break set discipline to buy killer Type. Usually, for my USA Type Set which is a long term project. By the way, does anyone have a killer MS63/64 Shield w/ Rays Nickel that they want to sell?

At first, I simp;y did not know what to wait for! But in the last couple of years, I've become quite choosey. At first, this was driven by the cost of high grade buffalo nickels, but now it's driven by a combination of cost practicalities and desire only for coins that make my heart sing smile.gif. Now I feel quite patient about my collecting endeavors, and I believe that if I wait long enough, then nearly every coin I am "after" will pass my nose in a way that causes me to not resist!

Leo - I like the 50-D FS story!

Hoot