• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabbing of medals with attached ribbons, etc

2 posts in this topic

I just saw the slab pictured below (from this eBay listing, to give credit where it is due).

It never would have occurred to me that you would slab a medal with an attached ribbon. Do you have guidelines on that, or is it handled case-by-case? Doesn't slabbing it this way invite surface issues on the medal where it is in contact with the ribbon?

I have some medals with attached metal ringlets (rather than a cloth ribbon) through the hole. If ribbons are ok, I assume you would slab those with the ringlets attached, assuming that everything fit within the maximum thickness of the slab? I'd love to be able to get the slabbed for protection, but I didn't want to cut the ringlet off just so that they'd qualify for slabbing...

df_1.JPG

• Administrator

From the NGC Graders:

"We handle material like this on a case by case basis. Some items that come with mounts can be holder while most can only be photocertified. In most cases, it really boils down to whether we feel the attachment—be it a ribbon or a mount—is original."