• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When posting pics do you hit the auto adjust??

12 posts in this topic

I try to make the coin appear exactly as it does in hand. That means I might have to raise or lower the Contrast or saturation amounts depending on the lighting used and angle of attack. I think these type of adjustments are perfectly acceptable and should be made......of course everyone see's coins differently so what looks dead on in hand to you....might not be what someone else see's 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I usally just crop and post. Sometimes the Adjust is needed on some photos. Color fixing may be needed as well. The whole goal is to get the coin as close to hand as possible.

I try to make the coin appear exactly as it does in hand.

I see it the same way.

Where I run into a problem is getting just one image to show the real look of the coin in hand. If you have the coin in hand and rotate it to the light it takes on so many different looks as far as color and luster. Which is the real look of the coin? I never can decide so I tend to save several pics of each coin.

Just my strange way of seeing it. smile.gif

I used to, but when I learned how to take pictures with proper lighting and white balance, I stopped. I crop them and post them!

-Amanda

When posting pics do you hit the auto adjust??

NONONONONONONONONONO Christo_pull_hair.gif

Did I say no? grin.gif

IMHO, the best pictues are those that require the least amount of post processing -- accuracy should be your goal.

Doing "auto" anything to a digital image during post-processing causes an amount of detail to be lost and one should, in general, avoid it. Refine your technique until your post processing is nothing more than cropping and resizing and you'll be taking great photos almost assuredly.

I can appreciate those with a different perspective, but for me "auto" adjustments (or any adjustments other than crop/resize for that matter) during post processing are just correcting mistakes you shouldn't have made when you took the picture.

Respectfully...Mike

NONONONONONONONONONO Christo_pull_hair.gif

Did I say no? grin.gif

Mike

No, you said, "Non-Ono", and by that I assume that you mean you are not related to Yoko.

I'm one of those tech dummies. Until I am able to learn what the camera can do, I don't know what the heck I am doing. For now, it is shoot, crop and resize.

Chris

I hit the auto-adjust, then compare against the original image. If it is truer to life, I use it. Usually, however, the original image is perfect. In fact, quite often, auto-adjust makes no discernible difference.

I suspect that if your lighting conditions are adequate and proper, then auto-adjust won't find anything needing adjustment!

Probably 95% of the time, I DON'T end up using auto-adjust.